• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Is God a silverback?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Is God a silverback?

Unread post

Yeah, walking on water couldn't be a metaphor, it must have literally happened :-D

Rising from the dead couldn't be a metaphor, it also must have literally happened :lol:

I die daily :lol:
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Is God a silverback?

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:Flann 5 wrote:
I'll get to your "Dark Bible" stuff in another post.

Look forward to it.
Actually Robert,most of the kinds of arguments made by Jim Walker of dark bible and his no beliefs website, have been answered in my earlier link to Peter J Williams talk on youtube.

Walker claims no beliefs but does anyone really think that such as he,Dawkins and Dan Barker are just neutral in the whole debate?

Walker seems to believe that war is always evil and never justified, for example,but this is highly debatable at the very least.

These critics never contextualize anything. The verses quoted are never viewed in the overall context of the specific accounts,or the contextual framework of the overall bible itself,or the cultural and historical contexts.

If I took the title of Barker's book to be; "Dan Barker.... the most unpleasant character in all fiction",I would be de-contextualizing it by ignoring one word.

They treat the Mosaic law as an ideal but, for example, ignore Christ's teaching on divorce in relation to this and his appeal to an original ideal found in the beginning of the same O.T.

Paul Copan has written a book in response to these new atheist arguments, and Williams also addressed them in his talk.
www.epsociety.org/library/articles.asp?pid=45&ap=1

Barker has been saying the same things for years and never seems to realize that they are not original to him and that his 'contradictions' have been answered many times.

Here Barker debated James White and you can see how shallow his understanding of these biblical teachings are, when challenged by someone who is competent in the field he claims expertise in.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNZh-4pDio0

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”