• In total there are 44 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why Christianity is True

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Why Christianity is True

Unread post

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Why Christianity is True

Unread post

An article on why Christianity is true doesn't belong in the Science forum. I'll move this to the Religion forum.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Thanks. Sorry about that.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Because Christianity Teaches the Correct Worldview
…let’s begin by saying that Christianity makes sense of the world around us. In other words, it presents the most correct worldview based on the world in which we live. …
The first is the argument from first cause or the cosmological argument, which states if something exists, it must have either come from something else, come from nothing, or have always existed.
There is no reason to think the universe didn’t always exist. The big bang is simply as far back as we can reliably predict anything. Beyond that point all information is lost because of the singularity. But that doesn’t necessarily have to mean the singularity was not always there, or that the singularity didn’t come from a previous state of the universe.

It may also be the product of another universe’ black hole, or the product of a quantum fluctuation in what you would call “nothing:”
… Second, to say the universe comes from nothing goes against responsible scientific inquiry and human logic.
Not according to the actual scientists who get paid to be actual scientists and produce actual science.
For example, any invention in human history is not brought about from nothing. It comes from materials and ingenuity that existed before its inception. Therefore, the naturalist worldview has no logical ground to stand on. The best conclusion is that the universe is the result of a cause greater than itself. That cause is God.
You cannot compare the activity humans to the quantum behavior of sub-atomic particles. Particles are born and annihilated literally all the time from nothing back into nothing and the presence of these virtual particle pairs are the reason you have mass.

Jumping from any pre-existing state of existence pre-dating the universe to an anthropomorphic deity is a non sequitur. Perhaps something did come before the big bang. There is no reason at all to think that it would be god.
Second, we have the proof of design or the teleological argument. Complexity and design point to a designer.
Not at all. Almost everything in nature that is complex arrises from natural processes. Only the things people have invented are actually confirmed examples of intelligent design. All other things which LOOK designed are in fact the product of emergent complexity. No other reason for their existence has any evidence in support, including and especially god.
The more we discover about the universe and nature, the more we realize how unlikely it is that this could have all happened by accident.
The processes of evolution do hold an element of chance, but what works and leads to greater complexity is decidedly NOT accidental. The forces of natural selection are what guide these inherited variances and if the author of this article understood evolution they would not have phrased this argument in this way.
Finally we have the moral argument. All people have a sense of right and wrong. In every culture, adultery, murder, and stealing are wrong. Where does that universal sense of right and wrong come from?
Except some people with abnormal brain functionality do not have this inherent sense of right and wrong. Morality is a construct of people for people. It is the system of protocols that allows us to live together and turn competition for resources into cooperation for resources.
Understanding that we are far more successful working together than as individuals is all the footing you need to develop morality naturalistically. It sticks with us because it works, and that is not random or accidental any more than the evolution of hard, resistant enamel on our teeth.
A moral law code requires a moral Lawgiver who is personal and reflects the moral law in His character.
Not true. Humans have given ourselves our own laws and very frequently we fall short of the goals we strive toward. It is especially noticeable in those whose rhetoric is the most shrill in their demands we meet their moral benchmarks. The same folks who bray about the value of the family and condemn others are the ones playing footsy in the men’s bathrooms. Coincidence?
Since we are made in God’s image, we reflect His moral law.
Are you sure about that? Because I know why we look the way we do, and it doesn’t seem like the kinds of things that god would need. Like the presence of our mouths, teeth, tongues, necks, throats, ribs, stomachs, liver, kidneys, circulatory and endocrine systems, lungs, intestines, and anus… As well as our hair, toe-nails, male nipples, pupils, bones, muscles genitals, spinal chords, and bilateral symmetry.

And none of that comes from looking like god. We actually look like chimps… and there’s good reason for that.
Naturalists and pantheists have difficulty accounting for the human conscience.
Not at all. Religious people don’t accept our answers for the same reason they don’t accept that the missing link is no longer missing. Then they wouldn’t get to say that we have a hard time justifying morality, or that the missing link is still missing.
Among all the books written by man, none have the credentials that equal the Bible. The second evidence for Christianity is the Bible, which proves itself to be true and divinely inspired.
The bible is not true. Most of it is out and out wrong.

The bible fits categorically with other stories about magic beings with super powers, animals speaking in human language and fantastic feats that can’t have and DIDN’T happen in the real world.

It’s a fairy tale, folks. And they are literally a dime a dozen at St. Vinnies.
The Bible’s divine inspiration is attested to in its unity. Although the Bible is written over a 1500 year period, written by over forty different authors from different backgrounds, and covers a host of controversial subjects, it maintains a unified theme and it does not contradict itself in principle from beginning to end. This indicates that a divine author supervised the entire process and guided each writer.
…. Right.
JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.
JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
Why don’t you take a skip on over to http://bibviz.com/ , where there is a handy graphical representation of the hundreds of contradictions in the bible along with links to every one of them. Enjoy!
Finally, the Bible answers the major questions all belief systems must answer. Where did we come from? What is the nature of the divine? What is our relationship to the divine? What is the nature of man? How do we explain the human predicament? What is the answer to the human predicament? What happens after death? And how do we explain evil? Any system that does not answer these questions is an incomplete system. The Bible gives the most complete and accurate answers to the truly important questions of human existence.
Except there is no proof that anything the bible has to say about the nature of the world and what’s beyond it is true, and lots of things which it says which are positively disproven, like the 7 day creation event.

This essentially says the bible makes tons of claims! So it must be right!

Except it isn’t right about the things we’ve been able to check up on, and that doesn’t exactly give me a lot of hope that it’s right on the claims it makes which nobody could ever check.
Jesus claimed Himself to be God. He claimed to have authority over the law, creation, sin, and death. John 10:30-33 states,
And there are lots of crazy people who now think that THEY are Jesus. What distinguishes this bronze age tribesmen from modern day crazies. How would you know the difference?
“‘I and the Father are one.’ Again the Jews picked up stones to stone Him but Jesus said to them, ‘I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?’ The leaders replied, ‘We are not stoning you for any of these but for blasphemy because you a mere man, claim to be God.'”
So what? Later in the bible he describes god as someone else.
The first confirmation of Jesus’ claims is His sinless life. Jesus’ most intimate companions stated He committed no sin that He needed to repent of.
And so would Jimmy Swaggart’s most intimate companions have said the same of him.
You can’t have the source you are trying to verify make claims in the writing for itself. That’s nonsense. Everyone in the story said Jesus was great? So what?
The second confirmation is the impact of Christ on mankind. More schools and colleges have been built in the name of Christ than any other man. More hospitals and orphanages are built in the name of Christ than any other person. More literature and music are written about Christ than any other person. More laws and ethical codes are built on His teachings than any other man. He has had a tremendous impact on every area of culture like no one else.
Does nothing to verify Jesus’ claims. Only that people followed him.
The third confirmation is the miracles He performed. God’s existence makes it reasonable to assume He would use miracles to confirm His message and messenger.
Your God’s existence is what you are trying to prove you buffoon!
Miracles are a powerful confirmation because it authenticates the creator’s authority over His creation. Christ’s miracles over nature, sickness, spiritual forces, sin, and death…

Were only ever found in the documents in dispute.
Then more quotes from the book in support of the book. Blah…

Because I Have Experienced It
Too long. Didn’t read.

Sorry guys, couldn't stick with it. Bored out of my skull on this one.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

Wow johnson 1010! You have the patience of Job to have stuck with it as long as you did :bow:
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

It is not good practice to post links without comment. In this case, the linked article presents arguments that would do an evil moron proud. Anyone with such a vacuous grasp on reality may deserve our sympathy, but posting a link to an article could give the impression of approval of its contents, which in this case are entirely in conflict with all sane thinking and ethics. The fact that many Christians suck up this nonsense is a good indicator for the parlous state of the church due to its disconnect with basic principles of logic and evidence.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

I don't know what you think you are achieving by providing links to badly misinformed rants,D.B.Roy. The only reason blacks believe in Christianity is because they are brainwashed? Implying the critic has escaped this mass brainwashing because of his greater perspicacity.

On slavery, Christ very clearly taught that one should do unto others as you would have others do unto you. To love your neigbour as yourself and so on.

Even in relation to the slavery prevalent in Roman times, Paul clearly taught that they should not be abused but treated with respect and this was a very different system to Antebellum kidnapping with it's horrific abuses.

It's just farcical to say that these were practicing Christianity, rather than rejecting the teachings of Christ.

Furthermore you want to overlook the major role played by the intellectual elites,who in the name of science and reason targeted the black population among others, for systematic elimination through legalized eugenics and abortion programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xnFk0M3KYY

http://www.scienceandapologetics.org/engl/turner.html
Last edited by Flann 5 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

"The master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him, and at an hour of which he is unaware. Then He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers. That slave who knows his master’s will but does not get ready or follow his instructions will be beaten with many blows." --Jesus Christ, Luke 12:46-7

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”