• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Roll up your sleeves: National blood shortage

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Roll up your sleeves: National blood shortage

Unread post

The American Red Cross says it has an urgent need for blood donations, with less than a five-day supply of blood on hand to help those who need it.

"The Red Cross continues to have an emergency need for blood and platelet donors to give now and help save patient lives," Nick Gehrig, communications director for Red Cross Blood Services, said in a news release. The organization noted it first alerted Americans to the need for blood and platelet donations back in early July. And while donation levels did rise, "a critical blood shortage remains," the group said.

7/26/16
http://health.usnews.com/health-care/ar ... eed-urgent
Please don't wait for the next emergency or the next critical shortage - resolve to save lives by becoming a regular donor.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Roll up your sleeves: National blood shortage

Unread post

After being a blood donor occasionally for many years, I was recruited to donate platelets. That's a more complicated and lengthy deal, If you've ever done it. I didn't think I'd do it again, but the recruiter called again and asked if I'd repeat. I thought of the reasons I might give for begging off and could see that they would sound pretty lame--like not being able to scratch my nose for two hours--compared to the situation of someone needing the platelets. So I made another appointment.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Roll up your sleeves: National blood shortage

Unread post

I donated white blood cells this morning. (Yes on a Sunday of a holiday weekend.) I found out my donation was split into two because it's for an infant who is not producing white blood cells on her own. Half will be transfused right away, half in about 12 hours. She needs one donation daily, so mine helped keep her alive for one more day. Hopefully she'll start producing WBCs on her own soon...

Please become a regular blood donor and help others who are in crisis mode.

Return to “Everything Else”