• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Recently returned to reading

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Squeezie71
Official Newbie!

Recently returned to reading

Unread post

Hi to my fellow reading enthusiasts! I am a retired female in Oregon, who has recently entered the realm of audio books after having been unable to read normally due to vision problems. I'm looking to mix it up a bit, as I'm getting a bit tired of the same authors of Harlan Coben, Jeffery Deaver (yes he spells Jeffery that way) and Nelson DeMille, who write thrillers/mysteries. Instead, I'm looking for a grown-up adventure story without the fantasy stuff. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Re: Recently returned to reading

Unread post

I recommend American radio shows from the 40s.

http://www.radioechoes.com/
Squeezie71
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thanks for your suggestion, Murmur. Those were some fun times lying in front of the family radio.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Hi Squeezie, and welcome to Book Talk. I'm guessing that like me, you get most of your audio books from your local library. I would suggest you speak to your librarian, and tell him/her of your dilemma. Just to let you know, there are some good audio books out there. Over the past year, I have 'read' "All the Light We Cannot See" "John Adams" (biography), "The Wright Brothers" (biography), "The Girl on the Train" (Mystery), and many others. I am currently into "The Nightingale" (Worlk War II).

As for the old radio shows, a few years ago my brother gave me (for Christmas) a set of CDs of Science Fiction stories which had been broadcast during the 1940s and 1950s. Can't remember them all (I no longer have the set), but aome of the authors included Isaac Asimov, Theodore Sturgeon, Ray Bradbury and H. G. Wells.
Last edited by Cattleman on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Squeezie71
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thanks, Cattleman! The libraries have this great app called "Overdrive" which you download to whatever device you want to read from; in my case it's my iPad Mini. Such a great deal, because it's all free and you never have to go visit the library. I, too, read "Girl on the Train," which wasn't bad. Have you ever read any of Nelson DeMille's stuff? He's a brilliant writer of thriller/intrigue, but his one fault (IMHO) is that he is too long in his descriptions and history of places/people, etc. However, I think you would really enjoy "The Charm School" by him, which takes place in Russia, where a compound is discovered containing WWII Navy pilot prisoners. I'm not interested in '40s radio show stuff...still looking for adventures. Just to see what Clive Cussler was like as a writer, I'm reading one of his, but still not what I'm searching for. I don't want any girly books...I tend to look for stuff with a little testosterone in there. :-D Also like J. Deaver.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Our library has access to Overdrive too, via the North East Texas Library Consortium. I also download e-books to my tablet (a Samsung Galaxy), and am going to try downloading some audio books. (Gotta admit, I like the 'free' part too). I have read some of Nelson DeMille's work, but did not find him exactly to my liking. I love science fiction, growing up my A-B-Cs were Asimov, Bradbury and Clarke. Not sure what to recommend on adventure; you might try H. Rider Haggard ("King Solomon's Mines," etc.) but his language tends to get a little archaic. If historical fiction interests you, I recommend Bernard Cornwell's "The Empty Throne" series. Set in England at the time of Alfred the Great. Warning, the names (both individual and place) and be a bit intimidating. If you are inco crime/mystery, one of my favorite series is Michael Connelly's "Harry Bosch" stories. Whatever you read, keep reading.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Squeezie71
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thanks, Cattleman. Science fiction was huge for me as a teenager, but I grew away from it. I'll take your suggestion of Michael Connelly's Bosch stories, and thank you for that. BTW, I made a mistake in my last note to you in describing DeMille's "Charm School." The Navy pilot prisoners were from the Vietnam war, not WWII !! Embarrassing. Currently, I'm really enjoying this Clive Cussler audio book, "The Pharoah's Secret," which involves modern-day divers off the coast of Malta. Thanks again for your input -- read on and prosper!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :-)

Return to “Everything Else”