• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Useful scientific resources to silence fools

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Useful scientific resources to silence fools

Unread post

senorcorredor wrote:This isn't an argument I want to get into in depth. I'm not a scientist and I'm not an expert on religion. I'm tempted to ask you to evidence somethingness after someone stops existing but that appears to me to be similar to kids in the playground saying "is too" . . . "is not." I respect your opinion. I'm more interested in theoretical physics and its more bizarre implications. I'm not an expert on that either. Mainly, I want to finish the novel I'm working on. I have 60,000 words written and I am aiming for 80,000.

You were implying something about what comes after death, weren't you? Like nothing.
Was wondering what evidence you had for that positive assertion you camouflaged.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

The best we can tell, the mind supervenes on the brain. Which means, when the brain disintegrates so does the mind. There's a great deal of evidence for supervenience. Although I don't think it's possible to prove absolute supervenience.

The evidence makes for a good default hypothesis. Do you have evidence where the nonphysical does not supervene on the physical? I'd like to see it.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
senorcorredor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi ant if you are there. I stopped writing for a while so we can debate if you want to. I didn't intend any camouflaged or implied meaning. I tried to put myself in the mindset of someone in a primitive time and imagine what they might feel. The result I came up with was that they would want to believe their loved ones lived on somehow. That's all I meant to say. I don't know of any scientific proof that there is no afterlife. Personally, I don't think there is, but that is separate from what I wrote. Some versions of M Theory allow for a kind of afterlife, even for communicating with the person who has died, but that's a scientific theory, not a religious one.

Richard
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Flann wrote:
Your response seems to be that o.k if they are optimally adapted to their environment they wont change but if the environment changes drastically this law of recurrent variation will be breached.

A changing environment is necessary for the adaptations you're looking for. That doesn't mean such a change is sufficient. In fact, it's ridiculous to think so. A changing environment could and often does lead to an extinction event. Or, the organism could remain in stasis, which has been found more often than not.

Prothero's findings are interesting, but they do nothing to support your position or undermine evolution. They raise more questions concerning the stasis portion of punctuated equilibrium. But with this evidence of genetic stasis in spite of environmental change, there is no doubt that there has been tremendous genetic change when the environment changes. The evidence abounds.

A single example of stasis does not mean stasis is the norm. You're pointing to a period of equilibrium, and ignoring every other area on the geneological timeline with massive punctuation. This is cherry picking, and to reinforce this point, notice how excited Prothero is over the finding. This sort of finding is exciting, due to the questions it raises.
This is just another example of the extreme elasticity and unfasifiabilty of the theory. Prothero instanced four major climactic events over 50 million years.
And that's just one study.The curious thing about punctuated equilibrium is that there is no fossil evidence(intermediates) for these rapid transformations.

Of course that's put down to the isolated species part of the theory which conveniently excuses the lack of the very evidence needed to support it.

A bit like the ratio of living species to extinct species being the polar opposite of what the theory predicts.We're to believe in myriads of non-existent extinct species because the theory says they must have existed.

Don't bother looking for them though because you'll find living species vastly outnumbering them. What a farce!

There is no doubt that animals adapt to changes in their environments and this is significant. The Galapagos finches are a good example of this. We're looking for adequate mechanisms for macro-evolution.

Taking Loennig's study it should be clear that mutations are not the engine for this kind of change. You extrapolate from minor changes and speciation among finches to an unencumbered,unbounded and endless process.

Finches are no different than cats and dogs and other farm animals artificially selected and bred over many generations.
What is true for plants and crops is also true for any living things.

Plant and animal breeders describe precisely what Loennig is addressing. Mutations reach a saturation point are repetitively recurrent, and variety is exhausted.
To imagine it would be any different for finches is disregarding the evidence.What is even more evident is that as you go from plants to animals the effects of many mutations are more damaging.

This is due to the greater integrative complexity in animals constraining pathways to major phenotype changes and reorganization. Ally this to mutations at the developmental stage screwing the instruction process up precisely where the body forms are developed.
Interbane wrote:Are we trading links then?
Looks like it Interbane. The essential point I made about conflicts between trees based on genetics is well documented.
What relationships and classifications you get often depends on where you look. And they do indeed often conflict with morphologically based trees also.

As for "junk Dna" the trajectory here is very much in the direction of discovering function as research proceeds. The diehards at Rational Wiki can hang on while there is yet so much unknown and yet to be researched, but time will tell it's own tale.
geo wrote:J. G. M. "Hans" Thewissen, a leading researcher in the field of whale paleontology and anatomy, who has published dozens of articles and books, might be the world's foremost expert on whale evolution. And you go with Dr. Carl Werner, a Creationist filmmaker who alleges that some of the exhibits in museums aren’t accurate representations of whale ancestors. Even if it's true that a few museum exhibits were augmented, this has no bearing on the strength of of the theory or the basic information laid out in the Smithsonian's web site.
He doesn't just allege Geo, these guys were caught red handed on film and admitted to their 'augmentations' as you delicately put it. It obviously does have a bearing since these "augmentations" were the very ones suggesting these were whale like creatures,when in fact they were land based animals.

In any case if the fully aquatic Alaskan whale jawbone is confirmed, their fossils become the irrelevancies they deserve to be.
Sternberg's calculations based on population genetics and fixing mutations in populations utterly demolishes the notion of whale evolution by neo-Darwinian mechanisms in even a generous time frame.

If two co-ordinated mutations could (which I doubt) change the heat exchange mechanism from land mammal to whale in the time available (which it can't),this is laughable given the vast number of similar complex changes required in that time-frame.

It's all very well to talk about punctuated equilibrium but lets hear what the mechanisms for these prodigious feats of transformation are.
I suppose that's another argument from ignorance. Neo-Darwinian mechanisms certainly won't do it.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Flann wrote:This is just another example of the extreme elasticity and unfasifiabilty of the theory.
The theory does not predict that every species is likely to change with every climactic event. Why do you think this?

And regarding falsifiability, look who's calling the kettle black.
Prothero instanced four major climactic events over 50 million years.
An example of where change doesn't happen does not erase the examples of where change does happen. If you think this is some damaging testament against evolution, then why does Prothero, the expert who performed the study, disagree with you?
This is due to the greater integrative complexity in animals constraining pathways to major phenotype changes and reorganization. Ally this to mutations at the developmental stage screwing the instruction process up precisely where the body forms are developed.
So the difference between a great dane and a chihuahua is the absolute limit for dogs? What mechanism would prevent further change?

You do need to reference a mechanism. Because without one, all you have to rely on is "but they haven't changed further yet!" Right, you want an organism to morph into an entirely different species in this short a time span.

Regarding Loennig and his study:

http://www.skeptical-science.com/scienc ... -examined/

Wolf-Ekkehard Lönnig, “Mutations: The Law of Recurrent Variation,” Floriculture, Ornamental and Plant Biotechnology, Vol. 1:601-607 (2006).

This was from an invited paper to a book on commercial flower growing.

This so-called “law” seems to exist only in the imagination of Lönnig. No one else has ever referenced, or ‘applied’ it, and it has been cited exactly 4 times by (oh I’m sure you can guess) Mr Lönnig himself and nobody else.

It boils down to the (apparent) limit of induced mutation within plants to alter phenotype (esp. outward appearance) before the chemicals, or radiation used kills the organism. This is hardly big news. Particularly in plants, more new species are the product of polypoid hybrids then any point mutations alone.

Includes references to Behe (his long discredited Irreducible complexity), and also Dembski (no free lunch of course) – yes, he is indeed rather desperately plugging in all the ID stars.

Does this paper actually support Intelligent Design in any way at all? Nope, it is just another of Lönnig’s failed experiments being used as an excuse to promote ID thinking without any justification at all

And: http://www.jackscanlan.com/2010/12/the- ... -mistakes/
As for "junk Dna" the trajectory here is very much in the direction of discovering function as research proceeds.
I can get behind this, and appreciate it.
The essential point I made about conflicts between trees based on genetics is well documented.
There is no conflict. The issue is trying to reconstruct phylogeny based on observing the phenotype. Of course mistakes will have been made. Integrating molecular phylogeny corrects those mistakes. Where the two disagree, corrections have been made.

https://retrieverman.net/2012/05/11/mor ... phylogeny/
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Here is a website that insists that ID is scientific:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/08/wh ... 75281.html

The author states:

"Intelligent design is a scientific theory that argues that the best explanation for some natural phenomena is an intelligence cause, especially when we find certain types of information and complexity in nature which in our experience are caused by intelligence."

So, first off, according to this guy, ID cannot be applied to all natural phenomena, only some. This is essentially an admission that ID is a pile of crap. Their main argument against standard science is that it is incomplete and has a lot of holes and then turn around and admit their "theory" can only explain "some natural phenomena."

He then goes onto say that this type of phenomenon has parallels in the human sphere in which the cause is intelligence. There is a problem with this as well. It goes backwards. Those who argue for the existence of god always have to load the argument. God's existence is always presupposed in some manner. One common way is the following: "If there is no god, then how did the universe come from nothing?" Anytime you resort to "If there is no god, then..." you're presupposing god's existence and that is invalid. You have to argue from A to B not starting at B and working your back to A to arrive at B. In the above statement, we find more the same of tiresome BS: "we find certain types of information and complexity in nature which in our experience are caused by intelligence" is just another way of saying "If god doesn't exist, then..."

But let's go on.

ID uses a positive argument based upon finding high levels of complex and specified information

The theory of intelligent design begins with observations of how intelligent agents act when they design things. Human intelligence provides a large empirical dataset for studying the products of the action of intelligent agents. This present-day observation-based dataset establishes cause-and-effect relationships between intelligent action and certain types of information. William Dembski observes that "[t]he principle characteristic of intelligent agency is directed contingency, or what we call choice."15 Dembski calls ID "a theory of information" where "information becomes a reliable indicator of design as well as a proper object for scientific investigation."16 A cause-and-effect relationship can be established between mind and information. As information theorist Henry Quastler observed, the "creation of new information is habitually associated with conscious activity."17

The most commonly cited type of "information" that reliably indicates design is "specified complexity." As Dembski writes, "the defining feature of intelligent causes is their ability to create novel information and, in particular, specified complexity."18 Though the terms were not originally coined by an ID proponent, Dembski suggests that design can be detected when one finds a rare or highly unlikely event (making it complex) which conforms to an independently derived pattern (making it specified). ID proponents call this complex and specified information, or "CSI."

Demski was getting at DNA. DNA is too complex to be a chance operation, he argues. Its CSI argues in favor of a designer. As Dawkins points out, this requires a designer that is at least as complex and so we get stuck in an infinite regression of who designed the designer and who designed the designer that designed the designer. Again, this is the same old loaded argument and hence it is invalid and therefore cannot be scientific. It is also woefully arbitrary--Demski sets himself up as the guy who gets to call what in nature is too complex to be a product of natural processes (1 in 10 to the 150th power) and what isn't. Well, who died and made him boss?

IDers have yet to prove anything about what they assert. Asserting over and over again doesn't make it so. This is really the bottom line--prove something. Show us the designer. Don't show us what you say is his handiwork, show us the designer. That is the most fatal flaw of their argument. You can say DNA is millions of times more complex than a watch, both serve a specific function and since one was designed then the other is designed. But how do we know watches are designed? Because there are watchmakers--they are all over the world and you can meet one anytime you want to. So where is the designer of DNA? Suppose no one had ever seen a watchmaker, had never met one, had never seen a watchmaker's shop or factory, never met anyone who supplied parts and materials to watchmakers and yet watches keep turning up. Could we honestly know that watches are intelligently designed? No. But they are used for telling time so they have a purpose! WE gave it that purpose. Without talking to a watchmaker, we can't know what they were made for or how they were made. So the problem with DNA is far worse. Watches at least are made of materials you simply can't find in nature but DNA is not. Without a designer to communicate with, we have no option but conclude that DNA is the product of a natural process and CSI doesn't contribute anything useful to that conclusion.

So there it is, IDers. Stop loading your arguments. Put up or shut up. If there is a designer then introduce him/her/it to us. If you can't then you have no argument to put forth. The rest of the article is really more the same. It's not hard to refute ID articles no matter how scholarly they may appear because they are relying on an invalid argument and therefore the people writing are not scholars. They just like to think they are just as they insist there is a designer for no other reason than because they want there to be a designer.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
geo wrote:J. G. M. "Hans" Thewissen, a leading researcher in the field of whale paleontology and anatomy, who has published dozens of articles and books, might be the world's foremost expert on whale evolution. And you go with Dr. Carl Werner, a Creationist filmmaker who alleges that some of the exhibits in museums aren’t accurate representations of whale ancestors. Even if it's true that a few museum exhibits were augmented, this has no bearing on the strength of of the theory or the basic information laid out in the Smithsonian's web site.
He doesn't just allege Geo, these guys were caught red handed on film and admitted to their 'augmentations' as you delicately put it. It obviously does have a bearing since these "augmentations" were the very ones suggesting these were whale like creatures,when in fact they were land based animals.
Flann, I didn't watch the video because it doesn't have any bearing on the theory of whale evolution, which is detailed in the many articles I have linked. I have seen Creationist videos too many times before. They rely on deceitful tactics and outright lies. Thewissen is an actual scholar and a scientist. Werner is a Creationist hack. Since he cannot participate in the work of science, he is delegated to the role of video propagandist for those who want to keep their heads in the sand. If Thewissen's work was truly fraudulent on any level, we would find some evidence of it in written form somewhere. It would be big news.

Though I can guess the damning evidence in Werner’s video. Thewissen once sketched a Pakicetus fossil, which was believed at the time to share some characteristics with cetaceans and gave it to the Smithsonian. (He also published an article in Nature Magazine). Because they didn’t have a complete skeleton, they had to fill in some of the blanks i.e. they gave it a blowhole. Later they learned that Pakicetus was entirely terrestrial and not the “walking whale” they had imagined. Here’s the thing though. Thewissen published a new article in Nature magazine that corrected the first one. I assume he made new sketches for the museums too.

So, I don't know the particulars, but it certainly seems possible that the museum curators were a little overzealous in constructing their exhibit and, quite possibly, Thewissen was too. Was he caught “red-handed” or simply wrong?

Museums have certain creative license when it comes to making exhibits. You should know this next time you go to Creationist museum in Kentucky and see the exhibit that shows people and dinosaurs living together. And while the Smithsonian updates its exhibits based on new scientific findings, the Creationist museum in Kentucky never has a reason to ever change theirs.
-Geo
Question everything
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

geo wrote:Flann, I didn't watch the video because it doesn't have any bearing on the theory of whale evolution, which is detailed in the many articles I have linked. I have seen Creationist videos too many times before. They rely on deceitful tactics and outright lies. Thewissen is an actual scholar and a scientist. Werner is a Creationist hack. Since he cannot participate in the work of science, he is delegated to the role of video propagandist for those who want to keep their heads in the sand. If Thewissen's work was truly fraudulent on any level, we would find some evidence of it in written form somewhere. It would be big news.
Hi Geo. It's obvious that you didn't watch the film clips of Werner's. You do a role reversal, backing the guys clearly trying to rig the evidence,while damning the messenger pointing this out.

Reconstruction from bones and fragments leaves too much to the fertile imaginations of some paleontologists. And glory beckons in finding those elusive fossil 'ancestors'

It could be a single tooth like with the earlier touted mesonychid whale 'ancestor'. The Tooth Fairy filled in all those blanks and poof! a bona fide whale ancestor.

Back at the time of the National Geographic, Archaeoraptor fiasco there were a few in the Museums who called N.G's bluff.

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/ ... ures11.g22

http://dml.cmnh.org/1999Nov/msg00263.html

It's quite difficult these days for scientists going against the entrenched dogmas to get a fair hearing for their evidence.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 060809.php
Last edited by Flann 5 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
It could be a single tooth like with the earlier touted mesonychid whale 'ancestor'. The Tooth Fairy filled in all those blanks and poof! a bona fide whale ancestor.
Again, you focus on a few episodes where scientists were wrong so that you can conveniently overlook the overwhelming evidence that clearly shows the land ancestry of whales. There's simply no doubt about this. Again, pick up any high school or college science book. This Wikipedia entry on the evolution of cetaceans alone has 73 sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_cetaceans

But according to you, the entire theory is wrong. All these scientists are wrong. All geologists are wrong about the age of the earth. The National Academy of Sciences, Wikipedia, National Geographic, The Smithsonian, pretty much all accredited Universities, are all wrong. We have all been duped by the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on mankind. We should disregard these mainstream, credible sources and listen to . . . Creationists! Because we all know that Creationists are the true experts on science.
-Geo
Question everything
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

geo wrote:But according to you, the entire theory is wrong. All these scientists are wrong. All geologists are wrong about the age of the earth. The National Academy of Sciences, Wikipedia, National Geographic, The Smithsonian, pretty much all accredited Universities, are all wrong. We have all been duped by the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on mankind. We should disregard these mainstream, credible sources and listen to . . . Creationists! Because we all know that Creationists are the true experts on science.
And yet even among biologists there are a large number skeptical of neo-Darwinism,which has been the prevailing scientific orthodoxy for a long time now. They don't think it works, Geo. They want to "extend it" which is a euphemism. They'll keep some of it.

Science operates on certain philosophical assumptions and thus seeks material causal explanations for everything.

Now shocking as it may be to your ears,suppose that God actually does exist and created the universe and living things originally,how could materialistically oriented science discover this?

There are foundational philosophical premises. You make it all sound so clear cut and yet there is no answer on either the origin of life or the universe forthcoming.
There are any number of questions evolutionary biology never even attempts to answer. For instance what kind of intermediate animal has a biological system between one that gives birth on land and that gives birth in the depths of the ocean?
How do these intermediate systems work, and how do they change,gradually or suddenly? What are the mechanisms for this change and are they adequate?

If the 49mya dated fully aquatic whale jawbone is confirmed,which seems highly likely based on the credentials of the scientists involved,doesn't that make most of those other supposed precursors irrelevant?

Doesn't it also narrow the timeframe so you have to find all the changes between Pakicetus and aquatic whales in that narrower timeframe?

You can ask the same question for the entire range of changes between a deer like animal and a blue whale. What's the scientific flaw in Sternberg's statistically based reasoning that it simply can't be done in the time frame by neo-Darwinian mechanisms?
In fact it's hopelessly inadequate. I don't accept that saying the current scientific majority accepts it is a real argument other than from authority.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Science & Technology”