• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 700 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 am

Don't send PDFs

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ScotsNews
Almost Comfortable

Don't send PDFs

Unread post

If you value the copyright on your work, it is a very bad idea to send a PDF of your book to anyone. There seem to be a lot of people on various forums who trust that a complete stranger on the internet will give an honest review if they send them a free copy of their book. The world still has a lot of honest people, but there is nothing to stop the PDF being forwarded on and, in some cases, even plagiarised or stolen and ending up with someone else's name on it. Some people new to the world of publishing may choose to dismiss this advice in their desperation to get a review, but after 30 successful years in publishing I can tell you that, instead of trying to get a lot of reviews, your time would be better spent in writing an interesting blurb that will attract paying readers. If your book is any good, you will develop a relationship with those readers as future customers and some may take the time to write a review that means something.
Raul Sanchez
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Re: Don't send PDFs

Unread post

Thanks for the advice.
But, sorry for my ignorance, can not they do the same - edit / plagiarize / etc - with an epub or mobi format? I mean, you can convert formats and also edit them with calibre, sigil, etc...? is there any difference compared to pdf? thanks in advance for clarification.
Sell More and Better, Eternal Sales Techniques beyond Internet
ScotsNews
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

It would be the same for any format that you can copy and paste. The point of my post is to value and protect your work. If you are seeking reviews from people who are not prepared to buy your book then you could gift a kindle copy via amazon (you will get the royalty from the sale). Sending gift copies of books to reviewers is not new - it has always happened in traditional publishing. Keep a list of where your gift books are going and follow up.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

Thanks ScotsNews. This is really good advice for new and established authors. I think a lot of time and effort is put into trying to get reviews, which I don't believe really sell books. You only need a few which, as you say, will come by themselves in time. Keep writing!
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony

Return to “Author's Lounge”