• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 767 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 am

Getting Book Reviews Sells Books

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Daddyd
Getting Comfortable

Getting Book Reviews Sells Books

Unread post

90% of online purchases are influenced by online reviews and 30% of consumers turn to Amazon for trusted reviews.

I know that’s hard to swallow, but it’s true. Book buzz is critical for boosting sales, and there is no better way to generate buzz for your books than with reviews. Put the power of reviews to work for you!

According to Nielsen (Global Trust in Advertising), online consumer reviews are the second most trusted source of brand information and messaging.

Check out, http://goo.gl/irl0SZ , to read about an online service that can help you get reviews. In my opinion, it will help.
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Re: Getting Book Reviews Sells Books

Unread post

I think that depends on who you ask. I've read some articles and reader comments that say they disregard reviews now days because they can be falsified so easily. One SPA even went as far as to pay for 1500 reviews and got busted doing it. Any honest review is AWESOME feedback whether it's good or bad, but as a reader, how do you determine legit vs purchased reviews?
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

For the most part on places like Amazon you can tell a lot of the honest reviews for most books. Some books which are controversial, such as the books of L. Ron Hubbard, tend to get a lot of sock accounts generated by Scientology-related persons and groups which post glowing reviews. But other than that, it can be adequately easy to tell what reviews are honest.

The New York Times Book Review is still a legitimate place to read honest reviews.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
SimonHarris
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Rather than paying for reviews, wouldn't it make more sense to drum up interest through a site like this?

If anyone is willing to review my latest book 'Catalonia Is Not Spain: A Historical Perspective' on Amazon, Bookreads, their blog or anywhere else, please PM and I'll send you a copy in pdf, kindle or epub format!

PS. I hope I'm not being too pushy but the original post was offering a paid service so I felt I was probably OK!
All the best
Simon Harris
Author of Going Native in Catalonia (2008)
and Catalonia Is Not Spain: A Historical Perspective (2014)
charlotte hughes
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I haven't heard of that, but you are not supposed to pay for reviews. I have had some good results from a Netgalley coop to get reviews.
Romantic Comedy author Charlotte Hughes
Charlotte's Website
See Bride Run!
Tall, Dark, and Bad
Titania Hudson
Official Newbie!

Unread post

What's a NetGalley coop? I think Netgalley's fees are too high for new authors who hardly have sales. In fact, the oddest thing is, some authors are not raking in the money, it's probably those who sell their services to authors who are earning a tidy sum.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Daddyd wrote:
90% of online purchases are influenced by online reviews and 30% of consumers turn to Amazon for trusted reviews.

I know that’s hard to swallow, but it’s true. Book buzz is critical for boosting sales, and there is no better way to generate buzz for your books than with reviews. Put the power of reviews to work for you!

According to Nielsen (Global Trust in Advertising), online consumer reviews are the second most trusted source of brand information and messaging.

Check out, http://goo.gl/irl0SZ , to read about an online service that can help you get reviews. In my opinion, it will help.
If online reviews are the 2nd most trusted source of brand information, what is the most trusted source?
Nancy Ann Rose
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The thing about reviews is that they're very subjective. No two people have the exact same likes and dislikes. For that reason, I don't read reviews before I buy a book. What I like is not going to be the same as what someone else likes. Same goes for movies. I no longer pay any mind to whether a movie is rated one star or five. Personally I've found that I've often enjoyed a one-star movie more than a five-star blockbuster. My choice of book or movie is based on the premise, not on ratings.

That's not to say that reviews can't be a useful promotional tool for authors. The trick is to filter out the positive from the negative, take what you need from it. Use it as a learning tool and, above all, don't let a bad review discourage you from writing.

Nancy Ann Rose

Secrets & Lies ~ Available Now from Liquid Silver Books
Sometimes love is the best-kept secret of all

Website: narose.altervista.org Liquid Silver Books: www.lsbooks.com
Amazon Author Central: www.amazon.com/author/nancyannrose

Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/author/show/14713699.Nanc ... y_Ann_Rose
The Romance Reviews: www.theromancereviews.com/narose
Twitter: @nancyannrose
ScotsNews
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Paying for reviews is a no-no. I was a theatre reviewer for many years and while the newspaper for which I worked paid me to go to the performances and write the reviews, I would never have accepted payment from anyone connected with the production. That is professional suicide. Make sure you write an interesting blurb for your book, have a good looking cover and provide the 'look inside' feature so that readers can get a feel for your work.
Willowme41
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I
Nancy Ann Rose wrote:The thing about reviews is that they're very subjective. No two people have the exact same likes and dislikes. For that reason, I don't read reviews before I buy a book. What I like is not going to be the same as what someone else likes. Same goes for movies. I no longer pay any mind to whether a movie is rated one star or five. Personally I've found that I've often enjoyed a one-star movie more than a five-star blockbuster. My choice of book or movie is based on the premise, not on ratings.

That's not to say that reviews can't be a useful promotional tool for authors. The trick is to filter out the positive from the negative, take what you need from it. Use it as a learning tool and, above all, don't let a bad review discourage you from writing.
:appl:

I have to agree here with Nancy, as I to have found books, movies, etc: that are stared low to be more interesting and enjoyable then that of a five star rated book, movie,etc: Again tastes are very different and one should not limit their chance to find something they may enjoy on someone else's opinion, First and foremost if you have a preview of something watch it, read it, decided on the preview first, even then you may find that you enjoy it even more then the preview, or if your bored and just have nothing else to do which is when I choose to watch or read an iffy book, movie. Nine times out of Ten it turns out I enjoyed it more then I thought I would and was glad that I actually did watch/read it. :btw:

Return to “Author's Lounge”