• In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

Thoughts on Steppenwolf?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Infinite Prose
Almost Comfortable

Thoughts on Steppenwolf?

Unread post

I am a huge Hesse fan and am quite aware that this and Siddhartha are his two most successful books. I loved Siddhartha and Beneath The Wheel. Is it a must read for any Hesse fan?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Thoughts on Steppenwolf?

Unread post

BookTalk discussed The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi) by Hermann Hesse in 2011. I had read it in high school and enjoyed it, but not so much this time 'round. It was slow and dense, taking a lot of willpower to complete the book. (Perhaps an internet addled attention span.) My favorite part was the famous glass bead game that related elements of the universe to the architecture of Japanese houses. But the book took some dead end detours and I hated the end...

Steppenwolf is another one on my list of "high school favorites to re-read as an adult." I don't remember anything about it other than "the magic theater." Have you seen the movie? I was in an altered state of consciousness when I watched it at a theater - it disturbed me for quite a while. I'd like to watch it again "unaltered" to see why it had that effect so long ago.

I also read Siddhartha, Narcissus and Goldmund, and some others around that same time period.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

SNAP!!

I play go, and The Glass Bead Game introduced me to it.
LanDroid wrote:BookTalk discussed The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi) by Hermann Hesse in 2011. I had read it in high school and enjoyed it, but not so much this time 'round. It was slow and dense, taking a lot of willpower to complete the book. (Perhaps an internet addled attention span.) My favorite part was the famous glass bead game that related elements of the universe to the architecture of Japanese houses. But the book took some dead end detours and I hated the end...

Steppenwolf is another one on my list of "high school favorites to re-read as an adult." I don't remember anything about it other than "the magic theater." Have you seen the movie? I was in an altered state of consciousness when I watched it at a theater - it disturbed me for quite a while. I'd like to watch it again "unaltered" to see why it had that effect so long ago.

I also read Siddhartha, Narcissus and Goldmund, and some others around that same time period.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

I played Go a little bit around that same time in high school. I remember a clear progression that didn't take long to understand. The first few games were like "This game is dumb, why don't we just play tiddlywinks?" Then a few games more and it was like "Hmmmmm this is getting more interesting, I can see there is some strategery involved." Then a few games more and it dawns on you "OMG this game is awesome, just as FREAKING complicated as chess!" I haven't played it since, not many Go players around... I love/hate chess!

This thread is dredging up some ancient memories... :bounce:
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i just grabbed the movie on your rec. thanks...
LD wrote:I was in an altered state of consciousness when I watched it at a theater
i can see where that could have been a little intense in places :lol:

i once watched an comparatively innocuous montgomery clift movie in an altered state and his forehead was almost more than i could bear :-D I mean it's not as if his foreheads quest for universal dominance could ever really be successful :lol:
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

:lol: LOL @ Montgomery Cliff! It would have been even better if he was bald, then it would been The Endless Forehead's Quest for Universal Dominance! Ni!
Where did you get the Steppenwolf movie, NetFlix? (I'm not too savvy on these things, my daughter will prolly have to find this.)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

I grabbed it from usenet

Message me if you can't get Usenet and I can organise it for you :)
Infinite Prose
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I just got my hands on a copy. I'll post my thoughts when I finish
Infinite Prose
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Spent the past several hours reading it. It's the first book I finished in one night since I was in elementary school (Goosebumps baby!!)

Let me just say that Hermine is now one of my favorite characters in literature.

If you are planning on reading this book just be prepared - it gets weird! I don't know where I'd rank this novel. I loved the conflict of his internal battles and the conversations were smooth and truly intriguing. I would recommend this book. Herman Hesse is in my top 5 writers of all time and as this is the 3rd book of his I've read he continues to stand out as a sensational writer!

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”