• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 638 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:45 am

9 out of 10 American Indians arent offended by the name "Redskins"

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

9 out of 10 American Indians arent offended by the name "Redskins"

Unread post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ne ... 2Bnational

If only more people didnt buy into all the left wing media BS and PC pressure from Libs.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Re: 9 out of 10 American Indians arent offended by the name "Redskins"

Unread post

But you're needlessly politicizing the issue, too, ant. If whites believed that "redskins" was, to native Americans, the equivalent of "nigger," is it PC and lib for them to have objected to it and wanted the name changed? There was a lot of testimony from Native Americans to the offensiveness of "redskins." Now there's some contrary evidence in this poll commissioned by the Washington Post (which editorially favors Dan Snyder changing the name). The point is that in a charged, polarized atmosphere, people aren't likely to change their minds, so it's constructive to get beyond name-calling.

Here's one prominent "lib," a Post writer, who managed to be flexible enough to change his mind when the poll came out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... page/story
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I saw that story, DWill. It's interesting to see that in a politically charged atmosphere, hot button issues like the Redskins name will be co-opted as political ammo, but once the dust settles, it turns out that many or most Native Americans truly aren't offended by the name after all. It certainly is not just liberals inciting this faux rage. Much of conservative politics these days seems to be a a knee-jerk reaction to politics from the left. Instead of leading with ideas, conservatives are trapped in this kind of reactionary stance.

This is why climate science has become a political football, so to speak. Each side seems more interested in scoring points against the other team rather than engage with ideas. The actual science and work being done to learn more about climate science seems to get lost in all the noise.

During this last brouhaha over the Redskins name, I changed my own stance in support of changing the name. Not that my opinion matters, though I was a diehard Redskins fan way back when I actually followed sports. I've never been the kind to adhere to traditions for the sake of maintaining traditions and if some people are offended by the name, I see nothing wrong with being sensitive to that.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Not to be overly pedantic, but the title of this thread should be "Survey: 9 out of 10 American Indians aren't offended by the name "Redskins". You can't draw such firm conclusions based on one survey alone.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result.
It's a pretty consistent opinion over time.
But of course libs love to take offense for people that usually haven't been asked if they're actually offended.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I've never met an Indian who would tolerate being called a redskin. Don't believe me? Walk up to an Indian and call him a redskin.

Not only do I hate the term, we're not red. We're exactly the same people you call Mexicans but you say they're brown. Well, which is it? Red or brown? Indians are brown more or less. None are red. That might have originally been a reference to red face paint. Many tribesmen wore red face paint when going to war so when whites were attacked, they saw men with red faces charging at them. Our skin is not red.

I comment here only to warn you: Do NOT call an Indian person a redskin under any circumstances. That's dangerous and stupid.

Likewise, since my other half is Japanese just let me throw this out there as well: Do NOT call Asian-Americans "Oriental." I know a lot of older whites do it and they don't mean anything since it was the term they were taught but my advice is DON'T do it.

You have been warned.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

The term "redskin" is offensive to some people and that's enough reason to change it. This is not political correct, it's just basic decency.

I've never quite understood the rationale for hating political correctness. You can think of many words that we would all agree are offensive now, but used to be in common use. Obviously the reason we don't such words now is because some people started becoming sensitive to it. Call it a correcting influence by those in our society who are simple better tuned.
-Geo
Question everything
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Basically, it's this: you can call anyone anything you want but if you get your jaw relocated for it, blame yourself.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Wait a minute. 504 Native Americans were polled? How were these individuals selected so as to represent ALL Native Americans? According to the 2010 census, there were 5.2 million people who identified themselves as Native American. Personally, I think that number is low. This is one reason why I do not trust polls.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Current Events & History”