• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Currently reading The Last Policeman trilogy

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
BookWyrm
Official Newbie!

Currently reading The Last Policeman trilogy

Unread post

The last series I read that sent me running to the store for the next book as soon as I'd finished an earlier one was the Harry Potter series ... but The Last Policeman trilogy, by Ben H. Winters, is doing the same thing. It's narrated by Detective Hank Palace, who is a police officer in New Hampshire. But what's the point in solving crimes when the world is going to end? In the first book, we're told about asteroid 2011GV1, which is going to slam into the earth within six months ... "Odds of impact, one hundred percent. October 3. No options." Meanwhile, in the background of Palace's investigations, civilization is already starting to slowly unravel: supplies are running out and can't be replaced, electrical power is erratic, cellphone service is collapsing -- all the things we take for granted.

I've read the second book as well but won't go into it right now. I'm waiting for the third and final book to come in to my local bookstore (I found the first book on a sale table; I special-ordered the second and third ones. :) )

Return to “What are you currently reading?”