• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Chapters 06 - 10: Soul Identity

#144: Feb. - April 2016 (Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please use this thread to discuss Chapters 06 - 10: Soul Identity.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Re: Chapters 06 - 10: Soul Identity

Unread post

So we arrive at HQ, start to meet some other interesting people, like the assistant, Brian, and Elizabeth, Bob's gf and Ann's (who?) daughter. It is setting up like a mystery novel alright the care taking couple, the beautiful employee (s) the old CEO, all we need is a sleuth....

I like this story, I blew right through all of these chapters, and next thing I know I am somewhere around chapter 14, and I have to go back and look because I am supposed to be discussing this.

So I am going to ask the obvious question: If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

froglipz wrote:I like this story, I blew right through all of these chapters, and next thing I know I am somewhere around chapter 14, and I have to go back and look because I am supposed to be discussing this.
exactly the same here, Dennis' writing slides down like a good single malt, i find the book strangely easy to read, in a good way.
froglipz wrote:If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?
that question is so good i'll have to answer it when i have more time, but answer it we all should in one way or another.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

froglipz wrote:So we arrive at HQ, start to meet some other interesting people, like the assistant, Brian, and Elizabeth, Bob's gf and Ann's (who?) daughter. It is setting up like a mystery novel alright the care taking couple, the beautiful employee (s) the old CEO, all we need is a sleuth....

I like this story, I blew right through all of these chapters, and next thing I know I am somewhere around chapter 14, and I have to go back and look because I am supposed to be discussing this.

So I am going to ask the obvious question: If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?
This is a good question, but is it really 'yourself', its actually your 'soul' and you don't know what physical body your soul would inhabit ... could be a cow, so what would be the point of leaving the Maserati to a cow? :) If you were identified as a person, however, I suppose you would tell the 'new you' who the people are in the world that you love. Of course, given that you are a new person, why would you love the same people and why would they love you ... ? :shock:
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

:lovers: Well, many people believe that love comes from the soul, so it is quite possible in my mind that one soul would very likely love another soul no matter what body each of them is inhabiting at the moment. :heart3: :(love): :heartpump: :heartpump:

In the book you will soon see his premise that souls in animals like the bluefish are not compatible with human souls so you could not become a cow, or a ladybug in the next life. People only become other people.
~froglipz~

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

This book of Dennis's would make an excellent anime or "tales of the unexpected" kind of thing.

I find it dream like in many ways.
Leslie Edmonds
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I whipped through 6-10+ pretty quickly as well. My problem is that other than the eye match and the leaving of "things" for a future self, there isn't much explanation as to what the "soul" is. It is like saying our fingerprints are our soul. There is no soul-like connection in the thread that I can sense. If I am going to write a story about the soul, it is going to be more than just a physical characteristic that allows me to get my stuff back. It's just not resonating with me in that regard, but I am about as un-materialistic as one can be, and so far there is nothing in the story that goes deeper than that. If I were to pass something of my soul from one skin bag to the next, I would want it to be life lessons, or how to better treat other earthlings, or even just how unimportant the "stuff" is. I would hope that my next skin bag was a little...just a little...less introverted, and maybe made much better relationship choices - ha! ;) I like the idea of body jumping better in "Touch" (even though I thought it was just a variation on her theme from "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August," which I really liked). It is an easy/quick read though and I can't really fault the writing. I can't for the life of me figure out why he is so compulsive about the color thing, green and gold. I'm not getting it.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

froglipz wrote:If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?
in a way i thought of the many books written by so many people over the years that would be just like "words of advice" for young people.

to read a book is often in many ways a chance to gain from the wisdom of your fellow and former humans so to speak. many works of art by truth tellers, music books movies ideas etc, have been a major part of what saved me from being destroyed by lies that abound.

but you need to be aware enough to receive it and if you were that aware you might not need it.

but specifically i would have plenty of things to say, i wonder if i would listen, or even understand, i didn't start getting a clue till i was 44 or so, such was the wonderful job liars did on me, i wonder if i would comprehend a personal letter from my former completed self, i would need to use a lot of explanatory phrases for persuasion, or maybe knowing it was from a former me i might be more inclined to "take my word for it" though one of the pointers would surely be "don't take anyone's word for it, not even your own" :lol:

this letter would be very scary in some ways so maybe it would freak me out a bit, i would have to include the positive a lot to balance it up.

this is a very VERY deep question... i keep disappearing down a cosmic mental vortex, all's well that ends well :-D

and thanks :)

to all the major dudes and godesses that wrote a letter to future man, we owe you bigtime.

Must dash, I think that's my future former self on the phone :lol:
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I would want to leave some money for myself, to make sure that the struggle to survive isn't one of the things my future self has to go through. I would like to think that I would give my past self's opinions more weight since I presumably believe that I am the future self of that particular soul. Of course, relevance comes into play. My '80's self might have said to invest in Walkman stock or leg warmers, and then where would my future self be? It would, of course be pointless to say "be more involved in the world". More involved than what or who? "Take less chances" once again, less than who? So I would have to go through books and leave a reading list, perhaps a list of deeds and accomplishments to achieve before receiving that trust money.
~froglipz~

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:goodpost:

i must be mad, i keep hearing a voice in my head :x

it says

i am he who is, was and will be :wink:

Return to “Soul Identity - by Dennis Batchelder”