• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Online Comments - a "wicked" problem

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Online Comments - a "wicked" problem

Unread post

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... transcript
Sunday 12 July 2015 10:30AM

It's a wicked problem, says social technologist Suw Charman-Anderson. That is, the lack of civility online when people leave comments.

We tend to blame the poison on so-called "trolls". But does blaming others overlook our own role in reducing standards of online discourse?

In a two part series, Future Tense looks at the difficulties involved in fostering a genuine online discussion. And we question why so many comment threads quickly deteriorate into the banal, offensive and abusive.

This program was first broadcast on October 12th 2014.
Link to Part Two http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... p2/5811842
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Online Comments - a "wicked" problem

Unread post

Youtube is a good example of this. Scroll down almost any music video and the comment are incredibly nasty. Why? The answer is shocking: people have different tastes in music. :angry:
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Fox News's website used to allow comments. I spent some time reading them. They were quite interesting. A lot of nastiness. A lot of stupidity. The occasional intelligent comment. Occasional racism. Occasional promotion of violence.

I'm glad Fox News's website got rid of the comments. In general, I think that comments shouldn't be allowed on news sites, and most or all blogs. The comments generally don't add anything.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Nastiness would be reduced by 90% if participants would post online only comments that they would make if face-to-face with someone, or even talking on the phone. It's the cover of anonymity that emboldens people to pull out all the stops, civility-wise.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

DWill wrote:Nastiness would be reduced by 90% if participants would post online only comments that they would make if face-to-face with someone, or even talking on the phone. It's the cover of anonymity that emboldens people to pull out all the stops, civility-wise.
exactly what I was thinking...it's amazing the tripe people are willing to post as they hide behind a shield of anonymity. A Scarier thought though is that the comments these people leave might give you an idea of their true personalities if you met them in person.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

CoolSummer wrote:
DWill wrote:Nastiness would be reduced by 90% if participants would post online only comments that they would make if face-to-face with someone, or even talking on the phone. It's the cover of anonymity that emboldens people to pull out all the stops, civility-wise.
exactly what I was thinking...it's amazing the tripe people are willing to post as they hide behind a shield of anonymity. A Scarier thought though is that the comments these people leave might give you an idea of their true personalities if you met them in person.
That is a scary thought. But it seems to me that if the amount of dysfunction shown on internet comments really reflected the quality of actual (non-virtual) social interactions, our society could never work. And it does work, despite the negative things that most often are the focus of the media.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

http://runt-of-the-web.com/worst-youtube-comments

why isn't the sun the most dangerous place on earth :-D

reminds me of that old proverb

"chaos is inherent in all compounded things, strive on with diligence"

and my undying love and best wishes to you all :yes:

there is one sure fire cure for when you are getting dunning-kruger'd all the time :lol:

a lot of times i notice people don't get the cultural references and so mistake humourous comments for just profanity, i think all in all i am more often surprised by peoples adroitness than offended by their ignorance.

and let's not forget, this guy was POTUS

mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

The screen is an amazing thing. It really does let one hide behind it while throwing rocks. I use it to be able to speak at all. Off line I can barely get a word out because of social anxiety but when it comes to the written word my mind explodes and I can't stop talking. I love being able to actually express myself but unfortunately the screen likes to create monsters and I know I have become rude to defend my thoughts. (Though never mean, vulgar, or name calling) So I know the feeling of how the power to talk anonymously can go to one's head. Most people are so cruel that I actually had to stop reading the comments (and pretty much left the site) of one of my favorite sites 9gag.com.

Most people online can't handle the power and turn to bullying which makes them feel higher than those they are mean to. Bullying is nothing new of course it is human nature but not even quiet people like myself are able to jump in. I agree comments are not needed. A like button, shares, and views show enough support while not leaving room for cruelty.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I know many people who have the internet as their only social circle for various reasons. I have gotten nasty in the past, but have outgrown it for a long time. Once you start teaching yourself to remember every online presence is a person (as far as we know) with feelings, it becomes easier to keep that in check.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

After reading Good Thinking I guess i can add that it is helpful to think of them as people you have no biases or prejudices against, what ever that means in your head ;)
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”