• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Flann talks Satan with youkrst and y'all are welcome, bring the love :)

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Flann talks Satan with youkrst and y'all are welcome, bring the love :)

Unread post

But Daniel had a lot of prophecies about coming empires and one prophecy was fulfilled by Antiochus for example. The critics try to put Daniel in the Maccabean era to get around this.
oooh i think i know this one, but just to be sure, could you very briefly lay it out in a sentence or two?
I don't think that Satan can know the future supernaturally
what's your thinking there Flann?
They proceed on the assumption that they must be postdated because they have remarkably fulfilled historic events in them.
i've not yet seen a bible prophecy fulfilled in the sense that i can say, well that's a slam dunk, only a God could know that in advance.

every prophecy i've looked at has been a question of iffy interpretation.

but i'm happy to look at more.

if you could lay out a scenario where

Bible says X and X happened as predicted i'd be impressed.

but usually i get bible says X, but then X and some events later than X are interpreted as a retrofit.

but even if the Bible said "a black magician with a harp of power will amaze many with a haze of royal purple" i still don't see how you could get from there to "Satan is a fallen angel, a conscious intelligent malevolent spiritual being"

ok, now i'm wondering

what does this Satan do?

could you describe something that would be the typical day to day working of Satan?
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

youkrst wrote:Quote:
They proceed on the assumption that they must be postdated because they have remarkably fulfilled historic events in them.

i've not yet seen a bible prophecy fulfilled in the sense that i can say, well that's a slam dunk, only a God could know that in advance.

every prophecy i've looked at has been a question of iffy interpretation.

but i'm happy to look at more.

if you could lay out a scenario where

Bible says X and X happened as predicted i'd be impressed.

but usually i get bible says X, but then X and some events later than X are interpreted as a retrofit.
I think there are clear prophecies that were historically fulfilled, Youkrst.

The critics recognizing this,don't dispute the historical events themselves such as Cyrus being the ruler and the Medo Persians taking of Babylon, but claim postdating by the authors.

You will find differences among interpreters on some prophecies, but others are so clear there is unanimous agreement on them by scholars.

The debate then is largely on dating these books.

Here's Daniel chapter 11 first. www.biblehub.com/nasb/daniel/11.htm

And here are examples of historical fulfillment from Daniel ch.11 . http://www.ukapologetics.net/11/daniel11meaning.htm

The so called higher critics then argued that Daniel was written centuries later at the time of the Maccabees. As I said, the dead sea scroll finds strongly suggest it must have been earlier than this.

Certain arguments are presented by critics against the date and historical setting in Babylon given in the book itself.
And here's how they are answered.
http://www.jeramyt.org/papers/daniel.html

Isaiah was divided into three on the same assumption of divine predictive prophecy being impossible. They try to use literary critical methods to bolster this.

When it is shown that there is considerable evidence for unity,literary and thematic similarity throughout the book they than say that the supposed second writer merely used material and literary style, from the earlier parts to give this impression.
So the very thing that sinks their critical literary argument is rejected on a conspiracy theory that amounts to fraud, and everyone implausibly buying this and recognizing it as authentic scripture and prophecy while knowing it to be postdated fraud.
There are psychological arguments against this. The whole point of Isaiah 45 is to show that God alone knows the future and is in control of history.

It would be extraordinary that a postdated document would be accepted by the Jews in Babylon as authentic prophecy and scripture, knowing it was postdated and the argument a complete sham.

Here are some examples of literary,stylistic and thematic unity in Isaiah.
http://www.evidenceunseen.com/bible-dif ... of-isaiah/

What is beyond all dispute is that both Isaiah and Daniel predate the time of Christ and prophesy his killing and this as atonement. I might add that his resurrection can also be found in Isaiah ch.53
This in itself is a remarkable prophecy to make concerning the messiah, and is not really what would be imagined to happen to God's promised messiah.

I think it is quite clear that the higher critics treated these books in accordance with their own naturalistic prior assumptions.

Such as the outdated "documentary source hypothesis" are rightly rejected by many contemporary scholars in the light of archaeological discoveries,and the accumulated much greater knowledge now,of these languages and times.

Here's why their arguments against Isaiah's authorship and unity are untenable.
http://www.academia.edu/7928184/The_Uni ... _of_Isaiah
Last edited by Flann 5 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Woah there Flann! Back up a little and if you would be so kind, slow it down a tad...

You say
I think there are clear prophecies that were historically fulfilled, Youkrst.
You used the word. Clear.

So a clear prophecy.

Then you say
some prophecies, but others are so clear there is unanimous agreement on them by scholars.
Ok

These other prophecies, the ones you say are
So clear there is unanimous agreement on them by scholars.
What are they? Which ones?
one prophecy was fulfilled by Antiochus for example.
the abomination of desolation? is that one Flann?
brother bob
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Youkrst want fulfilled prophecy. Take a dose of reality in my Chapter 25 - enjoy!

Chapter 25 Why Prophecy is such a BIG DEAL!
Overwhelming Evidence of His Godhead!
Last edited by brother bob on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
brother bob
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Abomination of Desolation is a prophecy to be fulfilled when Christians have exited the earth and the Anti-Christ commits this act after 3 1/2 years of peace.

And the odds of living in this period (which I think is possibly 40 years from now - and less than 100) and becoming a follower of God is almost impossible. Because understanding the truth of God takes the Holy Spirit to help you know the knowledge given to you is truthful. Man is so rejecting of the ways of God he needs help getting over the hump.

And a sign of encouragement, those that are beheaded were true followers of God. Tough way to confirm your faith.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

bob, where's the love?

is it here?
he was to be stoned to death.
or is it here?
severe punishment for one’s error.
here perhaps?
Definitely no room for error!
if the light that is in you is darkness, the darkness how great?

speaking of the great darkness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9eVW4cTR8
brother bob
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I gave you a chance by letting you see it. I see you are not concerned about fulfilled prophecy. Just arguing. Good night, down under!
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

bob you are always so urgent, just like me, only moreso eeeek!

chill brother bob, surely an hour or two is not asking too much.

it's not as if anyone is going to hell! :lol:
brother bob
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Well that is interesting. But please explain what you think hell is like? What are the ramifications of that place according to the Bible?
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

youkrst wrote:Ok

These other prophecies, the ones you say are

Quote:
So clear there is unanimous agreement on them by scholars.

What are they? Which ones?
Hi Youkrst. Well the prophecies of Isaiah and Jeremiah on the Babylonian captivity,the conquest of Babylon by Cyrus and the decree to release the Jews and rebuild the temple and the city of Jerusalem, would be clear examples.

Of course those wily "higher critics" do a hatchet job on Isaiah to avoid this.
youkrst wrote:hat are they? Which ones?

Quote:
one prophecy was fulfilled by Antiochus for example.

the abomination of desolation? is that one Flann?

You are leading the witness here Youkrst. I'm not an end times prophecy obsessive with dog eared books of Daniel and Revelation.
It's seems pretty clear that Persia,Greece and Egypt are specified here and these prophecies fit well with history.
Whether the whole chapter is about these kings I don't know and many think it moves from them at some point towards end time stuff. Verse 40 mentions "At the time of the end."

Porphyry thought it looked a lot like actual history and that it must therefore have been written at the time of the Maccabees,and those rationalist German geniuses followed suit.

Daniel seems to cover major empires and does speak of the end days. In Luke 21 Jesus moves from the fall of Jerusalem to the end so it's not unusual to find this in prophecy.

Based on the 70 weeks the abomination that makes desolate seems to refer to the Roman destruction of the temple and ties in with Jesus referring to Jerusalem being surrounded by armies.

There are types though too in Daniel. Nebuchadnezzar and his image is an echo of the beast and his image in Revelation.

So while Jesus talks of the abomination of desolation being to come, it's likely Antiochus is a previous example of this sort of thing,which would spring to mind for his Jewish hearers. I do think Antiochus Epiphanes is included in Daniel 11 but I wouldn't think it's all about him.

An interesting example of prophecy would be the reference in Matthew to the thirty pieces of silver being used to purchase the potter's field. He writes; "For this reason that field is called the Field of Blood to this day." It was used to bury strangers in so that would be a well known fact in Jerusalem I would think.

He was writing later of course but it seems to have been common knowledge that was passed on in Jerusalem.

You would think that if this was made up,the opponents of Christianity could easily have refuted it by asking,where's this field of blood you are talking about? There's no such field.

That would have been something they could have put in the Talmud with their other criticisms.

There are criticisms of the prophecy being ascribed to Jeremiah and not Zechariah. It combines mainly Zechariah with elements from Jeremiah and it may just be that Jeremiah being the major prophet gets the mention.
www.biblehub.com/matthew/27-7.htm

As I said the debate is on dating for books like Daniel and Isaiah and Jeremiah. Jeremiah is himself embroiled in the history he is prophesying about and there is interesting archaeological evidence corroborating him.
www.hope-of-israel.org/gedaliahseal.htm

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”