• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

2. Eleven Years Ago

#86: June - Aug. 2010 (Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: 2. Eleven Years Ago

Unread post

I'm ready and waiting. :)
Anderson
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Is anyone else out in the BookTalk world reading with us? Would anyone care to join us in our odd conversations about God's plan, demons and angels working together to thwart the apocalypse, and an aside into the music of Heaven and Hell? Anyone lurking should feel free to join us. We won't bite, after all, this isn't a zombie apocalypse we're talking about, just the normal kind.

Please join us!
I think this post is a month old, but I just wanted to mention that I picked up the book and have started into it. I knew from this thread about the basic setup, so I'm just going along for the ride at this point. I read kind of slowly, so it might take me a while to post here, but I'm enjoying the book so far.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'll still be around to respond to discussion in this forum. I really do love this book. :)
Anderson
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Is there something wrong with me, if I'm not finding the book funny?

I might just not have the type of sense of humor you need for this book. I think I've smiled a couple of times, but I haven't laughed yet. I'm only about 30 pages in, though, so I'm just starting. But still, I figure I "should've" laughed by now, in a book that everyone says is so funny.
Last edited by Anderson on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Funny is subjective. If you don't find it funny, there's nothing at all wrong with you. There's never a point where you "should" laugh, you either do or you don't, and no one will fault you if you don't. Not everyone has the same sense of humor. No worries. :)
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

Anderson wrote:Is there something wrong with me, if I'm not finding the book funny?
I haven't found it funny either. Maybe I have a different sense of humor or maybe my religious knowledge is too limited.

After 54 pages, the only thing I laughed at was the following line on page 13.
That too was incorrect. By almost a quarter of an hour.
It's probably time for me to give up on the book. Oh, well.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Story of my life;

Once again I am late to the dance, Gods will I guess, There again, his ways, are of the ineffable type.

This Book, "Good Omens' is the type of read that I do so much enjoy.

Exceptionalism exists in an author or in this case a pair of authors, when they can make me laugh when they mean for me to do so, (which we must assume to be the case, as the act of writing is for the most part, a premeditated process).
As I sit here reflecting on the book, it comes as no surprise to me, that I have only just read this remarkable story. I can, in a tall measure thank Booktalk and the participants for leading me to this point.
This book requires an ability to reflect on the possible absurdities of the ineffable, To be able to imagine, imagination itself, to consider a wonder of wonders, to explore the mystery of mystery, To me, these are not only learned traits, but necessary as well, I could not have enjoyed this book fully without having developed a better understanding of the foundations from which it stands. I am often stuck by the amount of effort and thought that has from the beginning, been presented time and again, by all who have presented their thoughts on this board, it has given me cause to move my reading preferences away from what was the randomness of an unknown goal.
I knew not, where I was going, but only that I needed to get someplace. A place of knowledge is pointless when undirected, its where I was hovering a half dozen years ago. What I know for certain, is how little I actually know, There is much more than just getting through a read, there is retainment and use, retaining not by memorization, but through the layering of abundance.
I would not have "gotten" this book if not for the efforts of the entirety of the BT community, through the many discussions, where I have mostly lurked, I have been directed to a mountain of new material.
Bottom to top thinking, knowing why its important to know not just a thought, but more importantly the history of that thought.
I haven't read this book till now simply because it would have been something I just did not get, the humor would have escaped me. My reading habits did not direct me towards "Good Omens" because those habits were scatological. That's not to say that I would not have understood the entirety of the read, but certainly the base would not have been there.

This book is insanely funny because the premise lends itself to burst out loud laughter. Nary a page can be turned without there being a gag saluting your subconscious humor bone.

Long live Elvis!

From "Good Omens"; Unrelated to the King!

" D'yer see my finger?" shouted Shadwell, whose sanity was still attached to him
but only on the end of a long and rather frayed string. "D'yer see it? This finger
laddie, could send ye to meet yer Maker!"
Sgt. Deisenburger stared at the black and purple nail a few inches from his face.
As an offensive weapon it rated quite highly, especially if it were ever used in the
preparation of food.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:appl:

Treasure in "heaven" indeed. The "heaven" of a free and well fed mind.

We've all been storing it up in there and it's becoming quite a tidy sum.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Something about treasure. I find that the archived discussions, the books covered here on BT, is a dramatic representation of that tidy sum.
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

same here Taylor :yes:

that's why i love BT, we have every position covered and some of the best running backs i've ever seen.

i'm a miner at heart

In 1995 owners of the Red Lake Mine, discovered that it contains the world's richest grade gold ore (two troy ounces of gold per metric ton). Shortly thereafter, the mine suffered through a four-year-long miners' strike. Since then, the mine has become one of the richest gold mines in the world.

Return to “Good Omens - by Neil Gaiman”