• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

"What Book Changed Your Mind?"

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
TBrame
Official Newbie!

Re: "What Book Changed Your Mind?"

Unread post

Deepak Chopra changed my mind about self awareness. I did not read the book when it first came out. I was overcoming an illness in those years. Once I became well I read the book only to fund that his belief that we must do what we are devoted to stood true. The jobs that i held while ill were all in sales. Helping people is something that helps me loose track of time in much the same way as he writes. It saved my life to be in sales while sick because I did not have to think twice about it and sustained my life.

He also talks about not being obsessed with things. His definition of things to include emotions and obsessions spoke to me. We hoard wants and really we should give away those things that we want to receive. I felt released from such obsessions upon understanding Chopra's work.

I recommend the book to most people who want to change their paradigm and unlock their potential.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I already posted one, but another book that changed my mind was The Bible. At one point I was raised to believe The Bible is the inerrant Word Of God and one could receive personal Divine Inspiration by reading it. Well it didn't take long to figure out "WTF this thing is RIDDLED with errors!" and so my convoluted journey away from that mind set began...
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Skeptic Magazine and the Bible changed my mind markedly. They both convinced me that religion is nonsense.
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Also a Ray Bradbury book The Butterfly Effect. It made me realize that any given decision can change the world. Everything I do makes other things fall into place and that had a profound effect on me. It made me start thinking about the consequences of my actions in high school which is a big deal for a teenager.
TheAwkwardBotanist
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well I finished reading Paper Towns by John Green. I enjoyed it a lot, and it definitely changed my mind about seeing other sides of people. I recommend it to any reader from ages 13+ for language. I overall thought of that book as a way to change how you look at the world and the people around you. :goodpost: :up:
therealapollo
Official Newbie!

Unread post

"Truth Vs Illusion: What Is Life About?" by Joy Su. Excellently written for a first book.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I scanned the list linked to Dexter's original post; there are indeed several books on there I would like to read - if I have the time (literally). At 70+ years of age, and reading since I was 5, I have to honestly say "None of them." Or perhaps the better answer would be "All of them." You see, I cannot think of any ONE book that changed my way of thinking, but I was no doubt influenced by all of them.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Everything Else”