• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Is Thanksgiving a religious or cultural holiday?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
BookReaderUSA
Master Debater

Is Thanksgiving a religious or cultural holiday?

Unread post

I think it's a mix of secular and religious traditions. What do you think? In addition, what are some Thanksgiving books that you recommend?
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Re: Is Thanksgiving a religious or cultural holiday?

Unread post

Personally I believe Thanksgiving is primarily a family holiday now. A time for us to come together to enjoy a feast and give thanks for life's blessings. My family doesn't attend church on this day as they would Christmas and Easter. I did look it up on Wikipedia for you though. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
trichobezoar
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I learned in college, I believe, that Thanksgiving was started for political purposes--to unite the country as a whole. Over the years it's become a cultural tradition among most ethnicities and religious groups, in all regions of the country. I wouldn't say it's religious per say... It's more political, social and traditional, in my mind. Then again, I'm not overly religious.

EDIT: *clicking on Wikipedia link* Very interesting... I suppose in religious circles (e.g., towns, families) it's religious and among secular people, such as myself, it's more social/traditional/political...
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

BookReaderUSA wrote:I think it's a mix of secular and religious traditions. What do you think? In addition, what are some Thanksgiving books that you recommend?
It's a secular holiday only, but it's easy for religious people to use it for religious purposes.

I don't think I've ever read a Thanksgiving book.
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I wouldn't classify Thanksgiving as a religious holiday at all. My soon to be in laws pray over dinner on Thanksgiving but that is the only sign I've seen that has to do with religion. It is a time to be thankful in general and be with family.
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I'd say it was cultural in that the Pilgrims learned how to get along with the local Indians. With the help of Indians they were able to plant corn and have a successful harvest and ended up celebrating it with the first Thanksgiving.

Return to “Everything Else”