• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Should the rest of the world adopt Islam's view of the inequality of women?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

Pickthall4:34
"Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other,”

Every moral legal system I know of in the West and most of the non-Islamic world begins with equality for all.

Check the value of a Muslim woman, according to some Muslim men, at the 8 min. mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbTATkLntBU

================

The main impetus for the question was the present immigration crisis in the E. U. and the fact that Islam is growing in power and influence all over the free world and if we do not bring it to heel, our women and cultures will lose the equality of the sexes.

Most of what I want to have you hear other than what I answer to posts is in these two links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlIi36nvdWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCOLcMqdpls

Regards
DL
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Should the rest of the world adopt Islam's view of the inequality of women?

Unread post

But also please check out the numbers of Muslim women who have been either heads of state or in very influential positions in their countries. I'm not saying that Islam doesn't contain a backward and even revolting view of women, but Saudi Arabia is not the entire Muslim world.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

DWill wrote:But also please check out the numbers of Muslim women who have been either heads of state or in very influential positions in their countries. I'm not saying that Islam doesn't contain a backward and even revolting view of women, but Saudi Arabia is not the entire Muslim world.
:thanks2:

Granted that Islam has had it's female heads of state.

But are they really free to lead on what they believe in when their husbands can legally beat and rape them when they get home?

Can such a woman speak against child brides if her husband has given her young daughter to some old man?

Regards
DL
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
DWill wrote:But also please check out the numbers of Muslim women who have been either heads of state or in very influential positions in their countries. I'm not saying that Islam doesn't contain a backward and even revolting view of women, but Saudi Arabia is not the entire Muslim world.

But are they really free to lead on what they believe in when their husbands can legally beat and rape them when they get home?

Can such a woman speak against child brides if her husband has given her young daughter to some old man?

Regards
DL
But I still wonder if the view of Islam as monolithic in the ways you indicate is accurate. In the case of a female leader, would she really need to fear a beating from her husband, or would this couple's Islam be actually quite different? I think we need a lot more information about how this religion plays out across a diversity of societies and social classes.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Should the rest of the world adopt Islam's view of the inequality of women?
No.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL
But I still wonder if the view of Islam as monolithic in the ways you indicate is accurate. In the case of a female leader, would she really need to fear a beating from her husband, or would this couple's Islam be actually quite different? I think we need a lot more information about how this religion plays out across a diversity of societies and social classes.
Indeed. It would be great if every Muslim would rate his Islamism as to mild medium or stupidly oppressive, --- but they do not.

We do know for a fact though that the vast majority of all mainstream religions are homophobic and misogynous and that should be enough to tell us that we should not embrace the more right wing Muslim style of misogyny.

Some Muslim countries, no argument, are more to the left on this as the West is, but even those counties, like the Western ones, are not walking their talk 100%.

Regards
DL
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I notice on these Muslim threads, people invoke Reza Aslan like a god. Reza Aslan says you're WRONG!!! But I've neither liked nor trusted Reza Aslan and here's a good reason why:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... is-is-why/
Last edited by DB Roy on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurora Beauty
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I would like to invite you to read Quran before judging Islam , we're talking here about the religion and not the people practicing it ; We all know that humans are not perfect , so raping and beating women is not only something that some " muslims" do because this is not what Islam consist of , but it is also found in what the world considers to be "civilized societies" , take a look here :

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-countries ... ape-crime/

How do you justify the presence of developped countries such as Canada , Germany and the US in the list ? are they muslims ? No , so such violent acts are not an Islam thing but a human thing .
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Aurora Beauty wrote:I would like to invite you to read Quran before judging Islam , we're talking here about the religion and not the people practicing it ; We all know that humans are not perfect , so raping and beating women is not only something that some " muslims" do because this is not what Islam consist of , but it is also found in what the world considers to be "civilized societies" , take a look here :

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-countries ... ape-crime/

How do you justify the presence of developped countries such as Canada , Germany and the US in the list ? are they muslims ? No , so such violent acts are not an Islam thing but a human thing .
Interesting point, Aurora. I wasn't aware of the prevalence of rape in developed nations. It seems paradoxical.

But this is a good point. There's a lot of cherry-picking on both sides, those who are condemning Islam and the defenders of Islam, those like Reza Aslan who try to overlook the very bad. In the west, we don't have a lot of interaction with Muslims and what we do see of the Muslim world is overwhelmingly negative. Terrorism has many faces, but certainly religion is frequently invoked by terrorists as a justification for violence. Comparing the two major religions, the very worse of Islam seems a lot worse than the very worse of Christians. Then again, from the perspective of Arab nations, I would guess that there's a very negative view of the west, but perhaps it's not so tied up with religion.
-Geo
Question everything
Aurora Beauty
Official Newbie!

Unread post

geo wrote: In the west, we don't have a lot of interaction with Muslims and what we do see of the Muslim world is overwhelmingly negative..
That's exactly the main reason why Islam is misunderstood in the west , the media is using this to their advantage to give you the picture they want you to see and conceal the facts , also muslims are to be blamed for giving a bad reputation to their religion and causing such fear and hatred towards them . If one needs to know about a religion , then one has to do researches about it and stop judging a religion based on what people do.

Return to “Current Events & History”