• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Excited to be a part of BookTalk

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Scubalarry54
Official Newbie!

Excited to be a part of BookTalk

Unread post

OK, so I'm a male which you will see in detail in the next paragraph. I write about things I am familiar with and have knowledge of, providing credibility and realism with my pen (or keyboard in most cases).

While I have been an accomplished reference author and have written two screenplays, nothing could have prepared me for the reality of writing my first novel manuscript and the challenges I faced. I have books on leadership and property management, however, I quickly was faced with the reality those writing styles do not bode well in crafting a novel. I also had to realize the screenplay related to the manuscript I was working on was like comparing a watercolor to the Mona Lisa; they both may be art but the details are no where the same. The first wake-up call was with my wife, who was the editor for my first two books. I remember he telling me, "You're not showing a photograph...you're painting a picture." The second and resounding wake-up was with the editor I hired after completing the first draft of the manuscript. There were times my heart sank reading the criticism, only to slap myself into the reality as I invited this in hiring a professional (by the way she is a 12 times best selling author). As time went on, my style changed and she witnessed a transformation as I accepted her critique and come to the realization I knew what to write, I just needed to change HOW I write. As a man, you ladies will understand I also had to realize (1) I had to listen to two females and put my manhood aside, and (2) what I was getting was not criticism but critique. Yes ladies and gentlemen, there is a difference between the two even though most men have to look critique up in the dictionary to understand the meaning. I hope I don't loose my "man card" after posting this.

Thanks for listening to my rant and looking forward to participating to further dialogue.

Larry
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Re: Excited to be a part of BookTalk

Unread post

Welcome! I wish you luck writing your book. The site seems to a good mix or readers (me) and authors. You should be able to find any number of interesting things being discussed in the forums. Look forward to seeing you around.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Scubalarry54
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Book is finished. Now its just getting noticed. You might say the easy part is done. Appreciate the well wishes.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Hi. I hope you will enjoy being on Booktalk. I am an artist and wrote and published my first novel in 2013. I found writing a challenging and difficult task, much more difficult than my art. I invite you to take a look at my web site for my book and my gallery: www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com
Wishing you much success with your book!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hi Larry,

You're absolutely right about there being a difference between criticism and critique. You seem to have grown a great deal as a writer and this no doubt can be attributed to your willingness to accept honest feedback. Congrats. This willingness to accept the possibility that we're not perfect and have room to learn and grow can benefit all of us in every area of our lives.

Welcome to the community! I look forward to seeing you on the forums. :)

Return to “Everything Else”