• In total there are 31 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What are your Xenophilias?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
BookReaderUSA
Master Debater

What are your Xenophilias?

Unread post

Which foreign cultures are you interested in, and why? Is it because of the history, or the arts, or what? I like reading about Indian culture because of the history and the architecture.
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: What are your Xenophilias?

Unread post

I love German. There is so much good and bad to their history (and the bad is so bad they can't hide it) I love the mixture. It shows that people are both and can't be labeled as one thing.

I also adore European, more specifically English, because of the medieval background is so rich (and what little girl doesn't love to hear about real princesses?)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

That's a great topic, BookReader. I like the word, too, which I've not come across before. It's a healthy thing to have a strong interest in another culture or cultures, and Americans can fall short in that department. To date, I don't think I've concentrated on any one culture, so that's one for my "to do" list. Cultural richness, within a country, also gives us an opportunity to learn about other ways or traditions. Sometimes we're so stuck in our own narrow track that we don't even want to experience that richness around us, or we intentionally wall ourselves off from it, I guess because it's not "as good" as what we know.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

I'm a fan of the non-Muslim parts of the former Soviet Union, especially Ukraine. The women and the language are what attracts me to those places the most.

Also, I like pre-colonial Latin American cultures, such as the Inca, Maya, and Aztecs.

I also like reading the myth stories of various cultures. I think my favorite are North American pre-colonial stories.

Return to “Everything Else”