• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of "The Martian" by Andy Weir

#142: Oct. - Dec. 2015 (Fiction)
GrammaNonni
Getting Comfortable

Re: Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of "The Martian" by Andy Weir

Unread post

Maybe the sequel will be about the colonization of Mars. I would love that. Anybody else think it would be a good idea?
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

GrammaNonni wrote:Maybe the sequel will be about the colonization of Mars. I would love that. Anybody else think it would be a good idea?
Well in that case we'd have to find a partner for Mark Watney ... of course, if we can persuade Matt Damon to play his part in the sequel, there'd likely be a fair number of volunteers! :mrgreen:
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I would love to see it too. I wonder if Mark Watney even would want to go back to Mars though.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
GrammaNonni
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I love the humor in this book. It was apparent in the movie also, but it looks like there are going to be many more opportunities for it in the book.
Betty T Osiek
Official Newbie!

Unread post

"Where do I begin?" The graphic language makes one think, male locker-room talk, and indicates that it is a masculine person even before seeing his name Mark. I would ask the author "Who is he?" to learn whether I can understand his character well enough to empathize with his adventure on Mars. Even McGuyver showed enough of his human character to endear him to us.
The prose here seems like shorthand without much fleshing out of ideas and even less development of his hero. Maybe the author meant it to appear like scholarly investigative writing with a little human interest attached. BTO
GrammaNonni
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Betty T Osiek wrote:"Where do I begin?" The graphic language makes one think, male locker-room talk, and indicates that it is a masculine person even before seeing his name Mark. I would ask the author "Who is he?" to learn whether I can understand his character well enough to empathize with his adventure on Mars. Even McGuyver showed enough of his human character to endear him to us.
The prose here seems like shorthand without much fleshing out of ideas and even less development of his hero. Maybe the author meant it to appear like scholarly investigative writing with a little human interest attached. BTO
Wonder if Betty's still reading the book? Just to let her know, the graphic language continues throughout the book and accelerates toward the end. I am so used to it from seeing today's movies that I didn't even notice it. It's such a great book that it would be worth it anyway.
Betty T Osiek
Official Newbie!

Unread post

After my shock at the F-word at the very beginning I have continued reading and find that it comes out of the mouth of both male and female characterst. After getting used to seeing it, I believe that the author is using it to jolt the reader into entering their astronautical culture. But at the same time, I question it's use. Kurt Vonnegut said: "Being a writer allowed me to edit myself into someone resembling an intelligent person." Those F-words might show a lack of desire to use a more educated language. However, Mark is quite good at telling a story filled with very technical details and at holding the interest of people with very little scientific knowledge. He is very sophisticated in the use of technical terms and descriptions of his efforts. I am enjoying the book greatly now that I am about halfway through, and it holds my interest because of the struggle of the hero against all odds even though I believe I already know what the ending will be like. I am interested in how he makes use of all his training to escape death. BTO :appl:
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Hmm, well I thought Mark's language was quite appropriate, F bombs and all .. he is stuck on Mars with very little chance off survival so firing off a few foul curses is understandable ... if the author had not had Mark utter a few choice words I would have found this unrealistic. I don't think it reflected lack of intelligence on the part of Mark or lack of intelligent writing by the author. I'm glad you pointed out that the female characters swore a few times too, its too easy to label males as the prime users of bad language, I don't think its a fair in our modern world. I agree that the author wants us to move into the astronaut culture, warts and all. I like your Kurt Vonnegut quote, he's one of my favourite authors! :)

Return to “The Martian - by Andy Weir”