• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 748 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

How about reading the new memoir Unraveling My Father's Suicide? by Kathleen Laplante

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
klaplante2
Official Newbie!

How about reading the new memoir Unraveling My Father's Suicide? by Kathleen Laplante

Unread post

Hi, I am Kathleen Laplante, the author of the new book Unraveling My Father's Suicide. I would love to have a reading group read and comment on this memoir:

Kathleen's father took his life on her twenty-first birthday. In this captivating and hope-filled story, she intimately discusses her struggles and eventual acceptance of his death. She also discusses her own attempt at suicide and reveals how her spiritual conversion back to Catholicism helped her find faith and hope.

Here are some customer reviews on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Unraveling-Father ... 692409882/

Review #1
5 of 5 Stars
Courageous and Compelling!! a MUST READ for all!!!
By Pauline Monteiro on June 8, 2015
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
This book is a real page turner! The author has poured her heart out in this book and I surely felt it. I want to thank the author for so bravely telling it like it is!!! I started reading this and couldn't put it down until I was done. (I read it in one day.) This is a raw and courageous account of one woman's struggle with depression and coming to terms with her absentee father's suicide. She is able to recount significant memories which allow the reader to feel the pain, loss and disappointment of her family that was endured while her father was alive - and then the magnification and subsequent confusion after his death. The author manages to convey the mental, emotional and spiritual consequences of growing up with(out) a father. The heartbreak, disappointment and confusion that resides in the heart ever day becomes a baseline of thought and feeling that the family cannot escape. It is an emotional, mental, spiritual weight to which the family is anchored with daily sinking reminders. She masterfully weaves in her own memories of her father poignantly throughout the book allowing the reader to feel the story. Her own honest account of her family dysfunction and battle with depression is both heartbreaking and compelling. Such honesty - such truth!!
The author also unselfishly describes her own lifelong battle with depression and her chilling suicide attempt. She has managed to keep her depression at bay by embracing spirituality, seeking truth and stripping herself of ideology that did serve her. The author does not claim to have cured herself of depression; rather she has managed to curb its impact on her life and to render whatever good she may of this disease. By her own private account, she is providing the reader with a front row seat and a gleam of understanding as to what it feels like to suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts. This is a huge gift to the world and one step in demystifying depression!!!

Review #2
5 of 5 Stars
Insightful, raw, and thought provoking look into the impact of family alcoholism and suicide
By Bonnie on June 8, 2015
Format: Paperback
Kathleen Laplante provides an insightful and thought provoking account of her experience as the child of a mostly absent alcoholic father who ultimately committed suicide on an exceedingly important day. As a mental health professional, I am particularly struck by the author's candor about her own struggles with depression and suicidality and with the obstacles to treatment she endured and overcame. The author conveys the powerful impact of her father's death on her family and the questions surrounding it. I was completely engrossed in her courageous exploration of family patterns of depression and suicide, in her spiritual journey, and in her capacity to use her experience to help others. She is truly an inspiration!

Review #3
5 of 5 Stars
Great book
ByKirsten M. Dellarocco "Everyone's shopper"on July 22, 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Beautifully written and touching book.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kathleen
klaplante2
Official Newbie!

Re: How about reading the new memoir Unraveling My Father's Suicide? by Kathleen Laplante

Unread post

Does anyone want to reconsider reading and discussing this book? It is currently under review by WBUR 90.9 FM radio for their series about suicide.
Unraveling My Father's Suicide by me, Kathleen Laplante

"Kathleen's father took his life on her twenty-first birthday. In this captivating and hope-filled story, she intimately discusses her
struggles and eventual acceptance of his death. She also discusses her own attempt at suicide and reveals how her spiritual conversion
back to Catholicism helped her find faith and hope."

For more details, read previous posts, amazon.com posting, and the Facebook page:
http://www.amazon.com/Unraveling-Father ... 692409882/
https://www.facebook.com/unravelingmyfatherssuicide

Kathleen
klaplante2
Official Newbie!

Re: How about reading the new memoir Unraveling My Father's Suicide? by Kathleen Laplante

Unread post

I'm curious. Have people no interest because the topic is suicide? or that it's a memoir? or that it's self-published? or that it's not well known (yet). Something else?

Kathleen

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”