• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

CERN Large Hadron Collider

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: CERN Large Hadron Collider

Unread post

The latest results from the LHC experiments are presented in Vienna
The world particle-physics community has convened in Vienna for the 2015 European Physical Society Conference on High Energy Physics (EPS-HEP2015), where the latest results in the field are being presented and discussed. These include the first results from Run 2 of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, which are being presented for the very first time, less than two months after the experiments started to take data at the unprecedented energy of 13 TeV, following a two-year long shutdown.

...The LHC has already delivered over 10 thousand billion collisions to the large experiments since the start of Run 2.
...After only a few weeks of data taking, the experiments have now “rediscovered” all of the known fundamental particles, apart from the so-called Higgs boson, for which more data are still required. The collaborations are thus ready to test the Standard Model at 13 TeV and the hope is to find evidence of new physics beyond this well-established theory.
...In addition, the conference is providing the opportunity for all of the LHC experiments to present many new or final results from the first run at the LHC. These include searches for dark matter, supersymmetric and other exotic particles, as well as new precision measurements of Standard Model processes.

Geneva/Vienna, 27 July 2015
http://www.interactions.org/cms/?pid=1034903
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

CERN: Test Results Show More Detail About 'God Particle'
GENEVA — Sep 1, 2015, 6:58 AM ET

After three years of scrutinizing the elusive Higgs boson closely, scientists say they've determined that the "God particle" behaves just as predicted. The European Organization for Nuclear Research, known by its French acronym CERN, said Tuesday two experiments that previously helped confirm the particle have produced the most precise measurements yet of its decay and interaction with other particles. The results largely match with the predictions of the Standard Model, which explains how much of the universe works at the subatomic level.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSt ... e-33447559
Perhaps that takes care of any lingering doubts?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
CERN: Test Results Show More Detail About 'God Particle'
GENEVA — Sep 1, 2015, 6:58 AM ET

After three years of scrutinizing the elusive Higgs boson closely, scientists say they've determined that the "God particle" behaves just as predicted. The European Organization for Nuclear Research, known by its French acronym CERN, said Tuesday two experiments that previously helped confirm the particle have produced the most precise measurements yet of its decay and interaction with other particles. The results largely match with the predictions of the Standard Model, which explains how much of the universe works at the subatomic level.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSt ... e-33447559
Perhaps that takes care of any lingering doubts?

I think it's been hypothesized there are other Higgs Bosons - perhaps as many as two.
If they exist and how they behave unknown at this point, of course.

But now that more power can be generated without having to enlarge the collider is good news.
The LHC is not, in its current state, able to detect these mythical stings that multiverse fans believe exist.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Apropos of fundamental particles, some particles are "made up of" other particles, while either these or others can be combined with other particles to make different particles.

Protons and neutrons are no longer considered fundamental, since they are made up of quarks, but electrons are, since they appear not to be made up of any constituent parts. But a neutron can decay to a proton and an electron and some very light stuff (photons, neutrinos) and in rare cases a proton can decay to a neutron. These involve quark shifting, (up to down, or vice versa) so quarks, though elementary, are not perfectly stable either.

I find this stuff fascinating.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybyDjfxL7s

Lawrence Krauss and Brian Greene discussing the Higgs.

My attempt at placing a video here, please forgive me if this does not go right, I really am bad at this sort of thing :blush: OK, so I see that all I managed was get url but not the video. On one side of my screen I have the video, how do I get it right here? cut and paste is eluding me.
Last edited by Taylor on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Excellent find, Taylor!
I wouldn't worry about embedding the video, the link is just fine, actually preferable to me. But if you insist, go to the full editor mode and you'll see a "youtube" button above the text box. That provides the BB code tags as follows. A. is disabled by the code tag to show the text and B. shows the effect.

A.

Code: Select all

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybyDjfxL7s[/youtube] 
B.

:bananadance2:
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

attempt #2 at embedded video, A Dec, 2014 panel discussion on how far back we can see through space.

I'll get the hang of it eventually, here's the link. video is about 58 min long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAndoRml70

now it seems that I am unable to even post a link, I'll try again later, after the urge to punch myself pass's
Last edited by Taylor on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

CERN experiment to test if we can connect to another dimension
In an experiment proposal that sounds more like an evil genius’ plan than a reputable science endeavour, CERN’s LHC atom smasher in Geneva, Switzerland will be cranked up to the highest energy levels ever, as scientists hope to detect or create miniature black holes. If successful, scientists hope that the experiment might uncover extra dimensions hidden in our universe.

“Normally, when people think of the multiverse, they think of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, where every possibility is actualised. This cannot be tested and so it is philosophy and not science. This is not what we mean by parallel universes. What we mean is real universes in extra dimensions.”

...“As gravity can flow out of our universe into the extra dimensions, such a model can be tested by the detection of mini black holes at the LHC. We have calculated the energy at which we expect to detect these mini black holes in ‘gravity’s rainbow’ [a new scientific theory]. If we do detect mini black holes at this energy, then we will know that both gravity’s rainbow and extra dimensions are correct.”

-Mir Faizal, one of the three physicists behind the experiment.
http://www.zmescience.com/science/cern- ... -23845234/
CERN is getting into more weirdness now... :clap:
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

It's not gonna happen.

Sorry.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

China plans to build world's most powerful particle collider with a circumference of 50 to 100 kilometres, bigger than any particle accelerator on Earth to allow a more precise understanding of universe.

..."The technical route we chose is different from LHC. While LHC smashes together protons, it generates Higgs particles together with many other particles," Wang said. "The proposed CEPC, however, collides electrons and positrons to create an extremely clean environment that only produces Higgs particles," he said.

...The Higgs boson factory is only the first step of the ambitious plan. A second-phase project named SPPC (Super Proton-Proton Collider) is also included in the design-a fully upgraded version of LHC.

...The proposed SPPC will be a 100 TeV proton-proton collider. If everything moves forward as proposed, the construction of the first phase project CEPC will start between 2020 and 2025, followed by the second phase in 2040.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 578854.cms

Return to “Science & Technology”