• In total there are 67 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Can't remember this Fictional book I read as a child

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
DJayAce
Official Newbie!

Can't remember this Fictional book I read as a child

Unread post

Hello! I am here in search for the answer to a question I am dying to solve! It is about a book I remember reading when I was either in high school or middle school. I was hoping someone here would know, but I have little to no information about this book so this is sort of a long shot! haha.

I know the book is fictional, and it was about a guy who goes through this crazy adventure. He runs into all sorts of fictional characters. One time he is walking across a path and stumbles upon a village or just a group of people (can't remember...), and all of them were just floating in the air.. He asks why they were floating and their response was that they were born at the height at which they will stop growing at, and over time they will grow downward until their feet finally touch the ground, and that'll be the end of their grow spurt... So everyone in this race knows exactly how tall they will be at birth. haha...

Another scene I remember is the character somehow got put in jail, and his jail sentence was for like 2 million years or something like that, and he somehow managed to escape so he wouldn't have to endure such a ridiculous sentence. Honestly I don't even remember if I finished the book because I hated reading back then!

I just recently got back into reading b/c I feel like it'll better improve the quality of my life. I've come to realize its probably one of the most important things to pick up and start doing... I've actually never read a book for fun and I've just started with my first book 'A WRINKLE IN TIME', so far its good!

But I really don't remember much more about this book, but I REALLY want to read it again. Even though its a lower level book, I think it'll be an amazing read for me! At least the story will be great I think, it will be a good starter book for me for sure. If anyone is able to remember, it will make my week for sure! Thanks again for your time and help, hope to hear from someone!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Can't remember this Fictional book I read as a child

Unread post

I haven't read it but google tells me the book is The Phantom Tollbooth.

Here is the first hit http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/tollbooth/section4.rhtml
DJayAce
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I believe that's it!!! Thanks so much Robert, I have no idea how you were able to find that through google! Haha I guess I've been using the wrong words to try and find it, really impressed that you were able to find it. I really appreciate the time you took to do that, you have defiantly made my week! Now its time to go visit Barns and Nobles, think it will be a fun little read. Appreciate it again, :D your awesome

PS: Turns out they made a movie over this book https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llg5VODW6n4
Got extremely high ratings, probably going to read the book first and then watch the movie, very excited though! :bananadance:
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

I just searched on a quote from your post

born at the height at which they will stop growing at, and over time they will grow downward until their feet finally touch the ground

It was my brother's favourite book when he was 9, but I never read it.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”