• In total there are 16 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Nature of Evil

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The Nature of Evil

Unread post

The flood is simply impossible and there isn't even a hint of geological evidence supporting it. If theists want to be respected and treated as bright, educated and rational people they need to drop the talking snakes, global flood and other magical nonsense.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:The flood is simply impossible and there isn't even a hint of geological evidence supporting it. If theists want to be respected and treated as bright, educated and rational people they need to drop the talking snakes, global flood and other magical nonsense.
Hi Chris. I haven't looked into the geological evidence so I would have to see how the evidence is presented from both sides.
Why is it impossible? There are various ancient accounts such the Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic which does have mythology of course. There's also a Chinese one and others.
Of course they couldn't know it was global but there seems to be in many cultures around the world a cultural memory of a major disastrous flood, pretty much from around the same time.
We don't just have a talking snake but a talking donkey as well. Christians interpret Genesis in different ways and it's not clear cut how it's best interpreted.
You say it's magical nonsense but anything supernatural is from your philosophical worldview. It has magical thinking too if you think time space and matter had a beginning which is currently most accepted, based on expansion etc.
How did that happen?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Flann 5, I only have a second to comment right now so I have to be very brief.
Flann 5 wrote:I haven't looked into the geological evidence so I would have to see how the evidence is presented from both sides.
Please do. It literally takes about 6 minutes MAX to see the flood is impossible. A 3rd grade science education is literally all that is required. Just Google it.

There isn't "both sides." That actually made me chuckle. Very cute. LOL

There is literally NO evidence. Not a single stitch of evidence that there was a global flood. So humor me and show me the other "side" without referencing the Bible please. Scientists aren't exactly sitting back scratching their temples contemplating this one.

Please, seriously, just Google this one. 6 minutes max.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I doubt it Chris. There are websites out there that make it seem as if there's evidence. They would fool a 3rd grader. It's all bunk, but it takes some digging to realize this.

https://answersingenesis.org/the-flood/ ... -evidence/
Flann wrote:I won't put words in your mouth but let you say what I expect you will.
That good people died in the flood? That the flood was supposedly caused directly by god?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:There is literally NO evidence. Not a single stitch of evidence that there was a global flood. So humor me and show me the other "side" without referencing the Bible please. Scientists aren't exactly sitting back scratching their temples contemplating this one.
I did a quick search on global flood and geological evidence and turned up this. I'm pretty sure this is a non religious science magazine.
It isn't saying there was a global flood but is saying that geological evidence supports something approximating to it.
http://www.discovermagazine.com/2012/ju ... y-enormous
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Come on Flann 5.

The first comment sums it up.
The title of this article is mis-leading. The "Bibilical" flood allegedly covered the entire earth. There is no evidence whatsoever that such a flood has ever occurred.
We're talking about a "Global Flood" not a big-ass local flood.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Come on Flann 5.

The first comment sums it up.

Quote:
The title of this article is mis-leading. The "Bibilical" flood allegedly covered the entire earth. There is no evidence whatsoever that such a flood has ever occurred.

We're talking about a "Global Flood" not a big-ass local flood.
It's saying these type of floods have occurred around the world so they could be local at different times and probably were in many cases. I'm not sure how it rules out the possibility of a global flood.
There are back and forth comments there debating it.

Looks like geological gradualism and uniformitarianism was dead wrong if nothing else.

Also you have so many of these ancient cultural accounts which speak of a global flood. That would make sense if the biblical account was true and the descendants of Noah and his sons spread across the globe retaining a cultural memory of a global flood passed on.
I'm not sure what geological evidence of a global flood would like. Some Christians think it didn't have to be global but the biblical language suggests global to me.
But I just did a quick search not a study of it.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Those big ass local floods are what gave the ancients the myths, which they morphed into the idea of a flood covering the antediluvian world. Flood myths are found in almost every culture, because big floods are so common. But the entire world? Such an idea is ridiculous, obviously myth. It would require 3 times as much water as currently exists on Earth. It would take a million times more rainfall than the yearly average. It simply couldn't happen on a thousand year timescale let alone less than a year. Even then, you could simply have faith that god magically made that water, then made it disappear. The belief can't be disproven if anything is possible.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Those big ass local floods are what gave the ancients the myths, which they morphed into the idea of a flood covering the antediluvian world. Flood myths are found in almost every culture, because big floods are so common.
I don't know Interbane. There were two pages on that science magazine article and on the second one they refer to a geologist who was investigating Noah's flood and found some interesting evidence.He wrote a book about it which they reference.

Another point is that because catastrophism was so much associated with the biblical account there was a resistance within mainstream geology for a ridiculously long time even when a few geologists were actually providing evidence against uniformitarianism.
These things work both ways and the anti bible bias prevented them from doing objective science.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Flann, there isn't enough water on the planet.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”