• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

I am currently reading a book by Joel Osteen

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: I am currently reading a book by Joel Osteen

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Ant, why do you hate him?

Hate is much too strong a word

He's a great business man and wears nice 3 piece suits
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Eston wrote:
ant wrote:I cant stand him, have never seen or heard any of his socalled sermons, and am actually quite disappointed to say that I know someone who follows him.
interesting. I never knew you could hate someone sermons if you never heard it before. why you hate the man?
Again, hate is not what describes my OPINION of the man.

Thanks
Eston
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I understand what you are saying but don't judge a man base on one message. Lets look at it this way, I love an listen to TD Jakes messages but don't like all of them. I love listening to DJ Nicholas and Goddy Goddy musics and even Kirk Franklin but some of their songs and even somethings they say I don't like and agree.

I am sure you may have even spoken things that people disagree with, or might not be correct or proper, but to hate you for one message is too much. In similar manner, don't dislike the man for one message he says and don't listen to any more, there might be something in one of his messages for you.

But its your choice though and I respect you for it
Wake up each day with an inspiring and uplifting word for the day. Get your copy of "A Word For Today" on any of your favorite online book stores.

Check out my site: http://www.biblewaymag.com
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Eston wrote:I understand what you are saying but don't judge a man base on one message. Lets look at it this way, I love an listen to TD Jakes messages but don't like all of them.
Hi Eston. How are you? I don't say Osteen is a charlatan like many of the prosperity gospel guys are. He's selling a product that people like and buy.
What bothers me is that it's sold as being Christianity and I don't think it is. It's really positive thinking pop psychology I think.

Do you not think that there is a problem with that whole healthy,wealthy and wise version of Christianity from the point of view of Christ's teachings.
I know quite a few Christians who do accept it, but let's be honest for the most part it's all about these guys lining their pockets often at the expense of poor people.
Most Christians learn the hard way if they ever do, about the reality behind a lot of these guys and generally are not persuaded by arguments about their skewed presentation of Christianity.
It's an appealing message.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Eston wrote:I understand what you are saying but don't judge a man base on one message. Lets look at it this way, I love an listen to TD Jakes messages but don't like all of them. I love listening to DJ Nicholas and Goddy Goddy musics and even Kirk Franklin but some of their songs and even somethings they say I don't like and agree.

I am sure you may have even spoken things that people disagree with, or might not be correct or proper, but to hate you for one message is too much. In similar manner, don't dislike the man for one message he says and don't listen to any more, there might be something in one of his messages for you.

But its your choice though and I respect you for it

I didn't mean to offend you.
Have you ever read the first chapter of a book and decided it wasn't for you, or was poorly written?

And again, I don't "hate" Osteen. That's a word you and Chris choose.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ant:
But once while driving as a passenger with someone a cassette of his was playing. I listened along for about 20 minutes, thought is was trite "COMMON! YOU CAN DO IT! GOD WANTS YOU TO BE RICH LIKE ME!" garbage, and asked the person to turn it off.
Please tell me the rest of the story :wink:
Ant:
I had heard enough for one lifetime.
What kind of vibe are you putting out there, that some person of your acquaintance, thinks "Joel Osteen....Yessss..." :razz2:

Return to “What are you currently reading?”