• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

How long do you usually read in one sitting?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
BIVRIC
Getting Comfortable

Re: How long do you usually read in one sitting?

Unread post

It depends on the book. I've picked up a book and couldn't put it down until I finished it 8 hours later. But I can't always devote that much time to reading. I usually start my reading around 10pm and read until Midnight unless I'm hooked and then I keep telling myself "just one more chapter." 2 hours minimum each night.
BIVRIC is my new book blog dedicated to promoting self published authors by way of Author Interviews

Connect with me on Facebook Twitter and Google Plus and lets get some interviews posted.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

About an hour most normally, but I have read 2 or 3 hours before if I had the time and the story was really great.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Since I usually read in the car while my ride takes me to school and/or work, I usually read about 20 minutes or so at a time throughout the day. But since that's multiple trips in a day, then I'm not sure how long that would be in total.

Outside of the car, I usually read in between classes, or when waiting on my ride. Depending on the wait, I can read upwards of an hour to an hour and a half at a time. Of course, my interest in the book I'm reading also affects this.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Patti201
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It depends on what I am reading. If it's a magazine or a newspaper very quick. If it's a very good book it could be several hours. If I am reading anything by my 2 very favorite authors (Jean Sasson and Janet Evanovich) I almost always finish the book in either 1 or 2 sittings. Other times if the book does not catch my interest I can stop reading very quickly, but if I start a book I will always come back and finish it. And if I have a good book lined up to read next by a favorite author I will usually read the dull book very quickly and can spend as much as 3 or 4 hours at a time reading it.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

I've taken to reading stage plays in recent years, and those I can typically devour in a single sitting. However poetry collections, which are generally the same page length, take longer.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
CharChar84
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

As I mentioned in another post, I have a hard time reading for long periods of time without getting tired. I think the longest I have read in one sitting was 3 hours. I'm an extremely slow reader already, so you mix that with my sleepiness during reading and that equals taking FOREVER to read a book. The current book I am reading now is 387 pages long and it's taken me 5 days to read 312 pages so far. I'm hoping to finish it up tonight or tomorrow and start on a new one!
*^*Charleen*^*
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i'm thinking of that routine where you end up nodding off because you're too tired to read so you end up taking a whole week reading the same chapter over and over again hoping not only to get through it but even remember that you finished it. :-D
CharChar84
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

youkrst wrote:i'm thinking of that routine where you end up nodding off because you're too tired to read so you end up taking a whole week reading the same chapter over and over again hoping not only to get through it but even remember that you finished it. :-D
You are so close to hitting the nail on the head...lol...I did finally finish that book I mentioned and now my dilemma is trying to get into the new one I have chose. I HATE starting a new story...it makes me feel like I'm channel surfing or something :slap:
*^*Charleen*^*
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

it makes me feel like I'm channel surfing or something
:-D
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I usually wake up around 1 or 2 am, and then can't get back to sleep. So i read till it gets light, about 7 am. Though i do sometimes nod off in the middle
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “Everything Else”