• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Feeling sleepy everytime I read...you?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
CharChar84
Getting Comfortable

Feeling sleepy everytime I read...you?

Unread post

I have dealt with this nuisance for years and I'm still not sure why it happens. It happens with any book, any time of day/night and whether or not I am reading a paperback or my Kindle. I get sleepy after approx. a chapter or two. I've tried reading while sitting in a comfy chair, sitting in a wooden uncomfortable chair and even standing up...could it be the absolute relaxation that occurs when I get into a good book? or possibly an eyesight issue (I do wear glasses while reading because of astigmatism)?

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated and welcomed :hmm:
*^*Charleen*^*
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Feeling sleepy everytime I read...you?

Unread post

yes it's a challenge.

do you get a lot of sleep?, my work makes me constantly sleep deprived, it's a cruel and slow death :lol: i do eventually get to the stage where it's a waste of time being awake but i'm so stubborn i stay awake another hour just to confirm how stupid i am :-D

but i was wondering if you are sleep deprived generally or if it's just reading that sends you off.

have you tried playing a computer game (with games sound off) while you listen to an audiobook.

the gameplay keeps one part of your brain amused while the other part gets some booktime in, when i'm tired (nearly always) this technique works a treat.

how do you go if you start reading first thing after breakfast?

what gets you energised? are you sporty/active type or more the contemplative laid back type?

what about reading after exercise, or listening to an audiobook while walking?
CharChar84
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

youkrst wrote:yes it's a challenge.

do you get a lot of sleep?, my work makes me constantly sleep deprived, it's a cruel and slow death :lol: i do eventually get to the stage where it's a waste of time being awake but i'm so stubborn i stay awake another hour just to confirm how stupid i am :-D

but i was wondering if you are sleep deprived generally or if it's just reading that sends you off.

have you tried playing a computer game (with games sound off) while you listen to an audiobook.

the gameplay keeps one part of your brain amused while the other part gets some booktime in, when i'm tired (nearly always) this technique works a treat.

how do you go if you start reading first thing after breakfast?

what gets you energised? are you sporty/active type or more the contemplative laid back type?

what about reading after exercise, or listening to an audiobook while walking?
Sleep deprivation...well, on most nights I get 7-8 hours of sleep, but there is the occasional night that I will only sleep 4-6 hours. Being a mother of 3 kiddos kind of puts me on the clock at odd hours of the night (thunderstorms, sickness, being scared of the dark/monsters/etc)... :roll:

Playing a game while listening to an audiobook...never tried that. :hmm: Honestly, I have only listened to a dozen audiobooks in my life and I know this is bad, but I couldn't tell you under life and death circumstances what those books were about or even what happened in the story. Music, I can get into...but I think it's because I can listen to a song and memorize the short story of 2-3 minutes. When I listen to an audiobook, I daydream or focus on the other things that I tell myself I can do while listening. Along this same line, I can't have ANY other noise in the background while I am trying to read a paperback/kindle. I own several pairs of earplugs and use them OFTEN while I'm reading!

I used to try and read while I was up on the elliptical, but again, I think it's too distracting. I'm trying to focus on my heart rate, miles I'm going, etc and my head won't shut up long enough for me to get a paragraph in. Reading without comprehending the story is very common for me, unfortunately. I love reading though and my redheaded self is too stubborn to give up on it! I just try to find books that really interest me or will at least keep me in a good mood :-D

I really do appreciate your input! I may check out some of the audiobooks at the library tomorrow and see if I can keep myself focused! What genre of books do you like to read? Recommend any suspenseful or exciting books that would keep me awake and on the edge of my seat?
*^*Charleen*^*
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Being a mother of 3 kiddos kind of puts me on the clock at odd hours of the night (thunderstorms, sickness, being scared of the dark/monsters/etc)...
i hear ya! our three have definitely got their money's worth out of the better half and me,

kids should come with a warning sticker, here's ya kid, if you're lucky you'll get your life back in twenty years :-D

but they're gold so ... all good :lol:
I may check out some of the audiobooks at the library tomorrow
it's great if you can find a good reader, some audio books are unbearable because the reader gets in the way too much, but a good reader just makes it great.

Alexander Scourby for example could read a cereal packet and make it sound riveting. :-D
but I couldn't tell you under life and death circumstances what those books were about or even what happened in the story.
that's common i think, for example i have books and movies that i had to read/watch at least three times before i even started to actually retain anything.
and my head won't shut up long enough for me to get a paragraph in.
again, glad it's not just me :-D
What genre of books do you like to read?
really all sorts, i'm like that with most things, but i suppose mythology is a particular fave.
Recommend any suspenseful or exciting books that would keep me awake and on the edge of my seat?
that's a toughy because tastes can differ so, mine change minute to minute.

however recently these two were GREAT! (good readers too!)

american gods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVVuyLyDqqA

good omens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sVwsJjBsbU

both books were a constant pleasant surprise, YMMV

wake up! :-D
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I personally think its a program of the brain. At least for me anyway. Growing up I used to read mostly in bed at night and when ready for sleep I would turn the TV on to fall asleep to. Now as an adult I don't sleep as well unless the TV is on. Literally last night this happened. I fell asleep on the couch to the TV before my fiancé got home. He apparently came in, changed it to a video game, and played until 3am. I didn't wake up at all but the moment he turned the TV off to get ready for bed I woke up. I went to bed with him and was wide awake. I have actually programmed my brain to think tv is for sleeping.

The same thing happens with books. Because I so often would read while tired at the end of the day I think my brain now associates reading with being tired. I can only read during my lunch hour at work because I know I can't fall asleep. (Although I have a tendency when sitting outside to close the book and my eyes.)

Did you have a habit of reading while tired growing up perhaps?
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I read every night before sleeping. So I guess in one way that's a yes, since I'll be sleeping after, but I've have read way too late before when a book was good. The ereaders cured me from that. When I read paper books and neared the end I'd feel like I needed to stay up to finish. You don't have that same feeling with an ebook, so it's easier to lay it aside and get your rest.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

CharChar84 wrote:I have dealt with this nuisance for years and I'm still not sure why it happens. It happens with any book, any time of day/night and whether or not I am reading a paperback or my Kindle. I get sleepy after approx. a chapter or two. I've tried reading while sitting in a comfy chair, sitting in a wooden uncomfortable chair and even standing up...could it be the absolute relaxation that occurs when I get into a good book? or possibly an eyesight issue (I do wear glasses while reading because of astigmatism)?

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated and welcomed :hmm:
It sounds like your brain is wired for that. Does this occur with other stimuli? Do you get drowsy when doing 2 hours of math problems? What about passive stuff like watching tv? I wonder if there is some kind of mental exercise you can do to rewire your brain.
Aurora Beauty
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It's totally the opposite for me , i get really excited while reading a book to the point that i wouldn't sleep the whole night , so i don't know if it is considered abnormal to sleep while reading, the question is did you had to deal with such problem from a very young age ? i see that it can hugely impact school performance , if it is a serious case i think you'd better get a diagnosis test

Return to “Everything Else”