• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

We've read a few Short Stories books...

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: We've read a few Short Stories books...

Unread post

Justareader,

That sounds great! I am tired of reading about things I know about. :roll:

I love reading about things that I would otherwise never get to venture into.

I will check out Trevor's short stories. You have intrigued me. :D

Thanks.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

DWill wrote:Susanne, the Gogol discussion sounds good, but I'm too apt to over-commit so I don't know if I'll be there. However, since you are honchoing the short story franchise (good job!) are you open to deal-making? If we read a William Trevor collection at some point, I promise to be there and to lead the discussion.
Wow, sorry I missed this DWill. Yes, lets do read a collection of short stories by William Trevor, sounds like we already have a few interested discussion members. We can start whenever you are ready. I promiss, I will be there too. :)

Miss the moon, but like the bike.
MtGrizzly
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Ford County by John Grisham was a surprising collection of short stories. After his first couple of 'lawyers in action' novels, I lost interest in his writing, (probably because I worked as a consultant to a lot of lawyers and they aren't ever in action). Ford County is a refreshing collection of shorts set in the south, only a couple of which are about lawyers.
AndiSGraham
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

"The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women" is rather interesting. I picked it up thinking that it would be all about the blood sucking variety... boy was I wrong! And for Anne Rice fans, it has the one short story Anne Rice wrote with all new characters called "The Master of Rampling Gate"
When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over. - Tony McCollum
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

A couple months ago I bought "Tails of Wonder and Imagination" because it looked interesting. All of the stories involve cats. :lol:

John Joseph Adams has edited/gathered/whatever quite a few short story books that I like a lot:

Wastelands (apocalyptic short stories)
Brave New Worlds (dystopian short stories)
The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (as I recall, these were all supernatural Holmes stories)
Federations (science fiction)
Living Dead 1 & 2 (zombies!! :twisted: )
By Blood We Live (vampires)
Way of the Wizard (haven't read this yet.)
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
sherlock
Official Newbie!

Sherlock Holmes

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:We've read a few Short Stories books...

Someone that loves short stories should consider getting a discussion or two going in this forum. Are there any new short stories books on the market? How about not-so-new?

Most Sherlock Holmes stories were 6000 word short magazine pieces. What are your favorites
Jill Vance
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I love short stories because you get so many different topics in one book. They are also great for reading in situations where you have 15 or 20 minutes to wait/travel. I read as many as I can find, but I also write them, and thinking up plots with unexpected endings is just as much fun as reading stories. I think 'The Other Side of the Door', a collection of short stories with a twist in the tale is well worth reading - but then I would, as I wrote it.
TeamWerner
Official Newbie!

Re: We've read a few Short Stories books... 'SUMMER SHORTS'

Unread post

Hello,
New short story collection written by acclaimed young UK comic, ventriloquist and satirist, Lachlan Werner. SUMMER SHORTS: a summertime collection of short stories and poetry.
First edition in paperback here: https://completelynovel.com/books/summer-shorts--1
new hardback edition here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/lachlan-werner ... 06395.html
Please read and let us know what you think. If you enjoy please share. :thanks2:
Attachments
11707557_1058595664152967_2048497566630987462_n.jpg
11707557_1058595664152967_2048497566630987462_n.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
hlawrence
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I have written a romance short story and I am currently working on writing a thriller story. I use to read a lot of short stories through the readers digest when I was younger. I haven't read any short stories lately and I do enjoy reading them because of the time.

Return to “Short Story Discussions”