• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Sam Harris podcast with granddaughter of Fred Phelps (Westboro Church)

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Sam Harris podcast with granddaughter of Fred Phelps (Westboro Church)

Unread post

Quite interesting

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/leaving-the-church

She points out how the WBC is merely taking the Bible literally, and genuinely believes they are doing what they do out of love, to help people understand the consequences of sin.

(You can find the podcast on iTunes instead of using the web site)
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Sam Harris podcast with granddaughter of Fred Phelps (Westboro Church)

Unread post

Im not sure if this is a religious extremism is bad or religion in general is bad argument.
I agree with the former but not the latter.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

it's a fascinating window of insight and quite thought provoking.

just the opening, mentioning Fred's bike ride with the grandkids and the way events evolved from there was valuable, putting a context as to how things developed, how the various elements coalesced and how things tapped into surrounding energies.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i ended up getting drawn in and listening through to the end, like Sam i found Megan very impressive in understanding and outlook, a real joy, as often seems to be the case in those who make it out alive and in one piece. :appl:

it often seems to me that such people have had to dig deep and fight hard to escape the belly of the whale so to speak and it is evident that Megan is a world beater :)

Sam also seemed to be doing a way better than average job of interviewing, relating, discussing etc etc

that meditation of his seems to really help, i have a friend like that, meditates every day and the results seem to include a real clarity and eveness of mind.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”