• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 759 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am

Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?

Unread post

Interbane wrote:No one is saying we understand everything. My point is that contingent systems are different. Comparing the predictive power of theories about necessary systems to theories about contingent systems is comparing apples to oranges.
ant wrote:We do not have a clue how single celled life evolved into conscious life.
We have many millions of clues, encompassed by the theory of evolution.
So the standards regarding what makes a theory a scientific theory are lower for contingent systems?
Well..,, okay!

Never said anyone said "we" understand everything. That goes without saying.

What clues you in about how a single celled organism eventually developed the ability to do quantum phsyics, write poetry, paint the sistine chapel, and land on the moon?
Is the clue "because we are here"?
Last edited by ant on Thu May 28, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Re: Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?

Unread post

ant wrote:So the standards regarding what makes a theory a scientific theory are lower for contingent systems?
Says who?
ant wrote:What clues you in about how a single celled organism eventually developed the ability to do quantum phsyics, write poetry, paint the sistine chapel, and land on the moon?
Is the clue "because we are here"?
All the clues that fall along our shared phylogenic tree.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

"All the clues that fall along our shared phylogenic tree"

Everything about our branch is a clue that points to the inevitability of consciousness, huh?
Okay, that answers that in one word - "everything" (on our branch)

Neanderthals were doing quite well with survival /repodution skills.
Why was it a necessity for nature to leap to abstract thought?
Cave art was necessary for gene survival?
The caveman that was the best artist got all the hot cave girls?
What's the answer TOE gives? The fittest survive.

We're going way off base now.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Everything about our branch is a clue that points to the inevitability of consciousness, huh?
No ant. You try with all your heart to misunderstand.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:Everything about our branch is a clue that points to the inevitability of consciousness, huh?
Then please tell me specifically how evolution predicts the rise of consciousness.
What is the specific law that nature obeyed and point me toward a scientific publication that provides the information I'm looking for (hypothesis, the experiment(s) performed to test hypothesis, and how the tests were replicated)

Simply saying our tree is proof is scientifically unsatisfying. It's a narrative explanation without hard empirical evidence.

Thank you.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Let me calibrate what I said:
We do not have a clue how single celled life evolved into conscious life.
That is an enormous leap. Almost unfathomable.
Down the evolutionary road, it was an enormously improbable event to have occurred (single cell to abstract conscious thought)..

I believe Geo believes if the clock was set back to zero, nothing would guarantee things happening the way they did (we are here!).

I'm uncertain what Interbane thinks about this.
If he believes that consciousness would eventually rise again then that is only a belief of his.
It is without evidence. it is untestable. as such, it is a statement of blind faith and a just-so story.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
Interbane wrote:
Then please tell me specifically how evolution predicts the rise of consciousness.
What is the specific law that nature obeyed and point me toward a scientific publication that provides the information I'm looking for (hypothesis, the experiment(s) performed to test hypothesis, and how the tests were replicated)

Simply saying our tree is proof is scientifically unsatisfying. It's a narrative explanation without hard empirical evidence.

Thank you.
Actually Darwin himself predicted that squirrels would evolve the ability to steal bird seed from my bird feeder. This morning, I observed squirrels having a feast, literally stuffing their cheeks with my bird seed.

QED.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Actually Darwin himself predicted that squirrels would evolve the ability to steal bird seed from my bird feeder. This morning, I observed squirrels having a feast, literally stuffing their cheeks with my bird seed.

QED.
:lol: :lol:

I predict my indoor/outdoor cat will catch a mouse if I refuse to feed him for several days.

If I keep him indoors (controlled environment with adequate resources available and little competition) his belly will eventually become gigantic.

If I put him outside, his belly will get smaller.

AH! The power of a scientific theory! :lol:
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Then please tell me specifically how evolution predicts the rise of consciousness.
As far as I know, evolution makes no such prediction. The outcomes are contingent, not necessary.
ant wrote:Simply saying our tree is proof is scientifically unsatisfying.
Who said the tree is proof of anything?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

As far as I know, evolution makes no such prediction. The outcomes are contingent, not necessary.
So the theory of evolution can not make a related scientific prediction nor can it identify a particular law of nature.

Would you say that this is due to the blind randomness of nature? Our failure to identify a law is evidence of it?

That is a non sequitur.

Return to “Science & Technology”