• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Official Poll to select a FICTION book for June, July & August 2015

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.

Which FICTION books would you consider reading and discussing in June, July and August 2015?

BOOK 1: Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes

40%
BOOK 2: Beloved - Toni Morrison

20%
BOOK 3: 11/22/63: A Novel - Stephen King

40%

Total votes: 15
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If we select a book quickly enough this discussion can start in mid-May. :-) At least the forum will be up and available for those of you that want a jump start on the discussion. But if need be we'll run this poll for more than a week or two and start the discussion on June 1st.

Very simple rules...

Please only vote if you actually plan to participate in the book discussion if your chosen book wins this poll!

You can vote for more than one book. In fact please do! Vote for as many of the books found on this poll that you would like to read and discuss. Vote for all of them if you are OK with reading and discussing any of them. The more votes cast the easier it is to select a winning book.

You can change your vote at any time up until the poll closes.

After casting your vote please feel free to make posts in this thread stating your opinion on the various poll choices. There is nothing wrong with trying to influence other people in their vote as long as everyone that votes actually plans to participate in the book discussion.

There isn't an official end date for this poll. We'll end it when we have a clear winner.

Here are our 3 poll choices...

Book 1: Flowers for Algernon
by Daniel Keyes

Book 2: Beloved
by Toni Morrison

Book 3: 11/22/63: A Novel
by Stephen King
Attachments
11-22-63.jpg
11-22-63.jpg (16.86 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
beloved.jpg
beloved.jpg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
flowers-large.jpg
flowers-large.jpg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Official Poll to select a FICTION book for June, July & August 2015

Unread post

I will read whatever is chosen
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Flowers for Algernon is the only one of these I would read, and I have voted for it. I read the novella in 1977 and it really stuck with me. It is a powerful story about emotional intelligence, the idiot savant syndrome and social values.

Here is a good review from Amazon
I read this book for school when I was in 7th grade, and just finished re-reading it ten years and a degree in biology later. I loved it when I was a teen, and (after forcing myself to ignore my instinctive scientific skepticism) still love it today.
It's a very thought-provoking story, all the more so when you consider that it was written about 40 years ago when society was a bit less tolerant of the mentally retarded than it is now. Charlie is a man in his 30s with an IQ of 68 when the book starts; through a controversial experimental operation, his IQ gets higher and higher until it soars at one point to 185. The story is told through the journal entries that he is told to keep for the researchers in charge of the study. Through Charlie's words, you can see how sharply his intellect grows and how difficult it is for him because as smart as he becomes, his *emotional* intelligence is still that of a child.
Charlie's emergence from ignorance is painful for him; imagine learning all of life's hard truth's in a matter of weeks rather than the normal development from innocent child to worldly adult. And the ending of the book is heartwrenching. Everyone should read "Flowers for Algernon" at some point in their life. It's a classic.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

After reading Robert Tulip's review, I do not want to read "Flowers for Algernon". I tried to re-vote, taking away my previous vote. Hope it works.
Sorry, Robert, I just don't think that's a book for me. :)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Crystalline, you successfully changed your vote.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

"vktimeismoney" has been banned and his/her vote for Stephen King's book will not be counted. That person/bot didn't even speak English and was only hear to spam a link in their signature.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I voted for all three. I started reading the King novel when it first came out, honestly, I scrapped it after about 40 pages, however I would make another attempt if it is selected. "Flowers" has the potential for interesting and rellevant discussion on the themes of the novel which is why I am attracted to it and voted for it. I have all three novels at hand, I am good to go.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

BOOK 1: Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes has won the poll!

I'll work on getting the forum up as quickly as possible. :-)

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”