• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

What are you reading right now?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread post

Gave up on Dialogues with the Devil (for now) and am reading these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Blade- ... 1137412283

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Science-Does- ... sprove+god

*Starred Review* In Aczel, Richard Dawkins and his fellow New Atheists face a formidable opponent. As a mathematician with a Berkeley-Harvard résumé, Aczel wields impressive intellectual weapons in demolishing the New Atheists’ claims that science has disproven the existence of God. With compelling reasoning, Aczel demonstrates that whenever Dawkins and his allies turn their attacks against anything but naively literal readings of the Bible, they distort or misrepresent the methods and findings of science. Darwinism has provided no godless explanation of how human consciousness emerged. The attempt to reduce the astounding fine-tuning of the big bang to quantum physics likewise leaves huge questions unanswered. Disproofs of God’s existence based on probability theory similarly fail under scrutiny. When the New Atheists buttress their flawed science by appealing to the authority of Einstein, Aczel catches them cherry-picking quotations, so hiding complexities in the great physicist’s metaphysical thinking. Those who truly grapple with modern science, Aczel finally avers, discover not a disproof of God but rather perplexing mysteries, such as the stunning vistas of infinity that the intensely religious theorist Georg Cantor glimpsed behind his revolutionary continuum hypothesis. Such mysteries may not signify the presence of the divine, but they will surely stir deep wonderings. --Bryce Christensen --
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Non fiction: "Alan Turing: The Enigma", I am having so much fun with this book, I find myself stopping to learn more about ideas and topics within the book. That means an A* book to me. Also reading, "Going Clear" , the BT non fic discussion book. This book reads like a novel, the phrase, "you can't make this stuff up" applies to this book.

Fiction: I have discovered Richard Flanagan. "Goulds Book of Fish", was excellent but, "Death of a River Guide" was actually awesome. This novel is only 250 pages, but in content it feels like an epic. Beautiful prose, vivid characters and the consruction is brilliant, and I don't use that word lightly. Best novel of the year so far for me!
Shelobstrosity
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon. Speaks the Nightbird was very good, so I finally picked up the sequel.
"Rot," a free short horror story download from Freeditorial.
princesscookie19
Experienced

Unread post

The River Lake-James patterson

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

"Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Currently listening (audiobook) to the Murderbot series by Martha Wells, recently finished George, Nicholas and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I by Miranda Carter, and A short stay in hell by Steven L. Peck; which I rather enjoyed.
On the thin ice of modern life...
nickiejcrome
Getting Comfortable
United States of America

Unread post

I just finished Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, which was recommended to me by a classmate. Now I'm reading Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen, who in my opinion is incapable of writing a bad book.
kaine76
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Unread post

I'm reading the reviews of wall mount range hood because recently I renovate my house and now I want to install wall mount in my kitchen which range hoods use charcoal filters which trap some grease and odors but are not as effective as the stainless steel baffle and mesh filters of ducted range hoods.
salflowers012
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Unread post

I started reading How to Raise Successful People by Esther Wojcicki because I recently learned Wojcicki is a mother of a doctor, the CEO of YouTube and CEO of 23andMe. There are many schools of thoughts on the topic of childrearing, and I was curious to read about her experience.
wallicolls
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Right now, I'm reading Dune by Frank Herbert. I'm about halfway through, and so far it has been a gripping read. Set in the future on a desert planet called Arrakis, the novel tells the story of young Paul Atreides as he navigates the complex politics of interplanetary conflict. While certainly not an easy read, Dune is rich in world-building and fascinating characters, and I find myself eager to see how it all unfolds. It's definitely a book that will stay with me long after I finish reading it.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”