• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Grand Budapest Hotel

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Grand Budapest Hotel

Unread post

I loved this movie. It was very slapstick, the characters were rich, especially the old lady. Once you got used to the wackiness and laughed a bit, the movie hits you with the serious and disturbing topic of WWII and the German SS. Even the violence had a feel of Chaplin, or Laurel and Hardy about it, although, it was a very serious movie, the characters were being beaten. The movie reminded me of the films, "The Magic Mountain", and "The Tin Drum", they are all about serious themes viewed from an original view.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Grand Budapest Hotel

Unread post

i had your reaction, Cattleman, just puzzled by the movie, which seemed neither funny to me (after the initial quirkiness wore off) nor affecting at all emotionally. I had just endured horrible traffic in Washington DC to get to the theatre with some other people, and wonder if I was just drained by that experience. I almost never see any movie twice, even when I love it, so I guess I won't find out what a second chance would do for the film.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”