• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What Non-Fiction book(s) would you like to read in May, June and July 2015?

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!

What Non-Fiction book(s) would you like to read in May, June and July 2015?

Book 1: Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief

25%
Book 2: The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence

25%
Book 3: The War That Forged a Nation: Why the Civil War Still Matters

25%
Book 4: Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation

25%

Total votes: 12
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: What Non-Fiction book(s) would you like to read in May, June and July 2015?

Unread post

Chris wrote:
don't look at reading and discussing the cult of Scientology as simply an opportunity to bash the believers. To me it is an opportunity to spread the word that Scientology is a pretty corrupt and dangerous money-making scheme. The more the word is spread the better the chance the next person that Scientology attempts to capture will have heard of the dangers involved and will say "Thanks, but no thanks." Reading and discussing Going Clear is a service and good deed to our fellow man.
Your right Chris, scrutiny of graft thru occultism is an important service and should be encouraged.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Going Clear has been selected as our next Non-Fiction book. The forum is now up! ;-)
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Taylor wrote:I've watched a lecture by Paul Davies that "The Eerie Silence" is based upon, it was excellent, Davies does not come across as someone pre-loaded with the baggage of bias, His presentation is rather matter of fact, hyperbole is not what is needed when there is a discussion of abstract science, cooler heads prevail, And Davies is cool as they come.

Davies is a scientist in the truest sense of the word. He practices it in its most pure and true form - for objective examination of nature without an underlying agenda. His arguments are never tendentious.
He is humble and razor sharp.

He was the first scientist that caught my attention. Whereas I think most people dishonestly use science as an argument against religion in general unfortunately were first impressed by new atheist scientists who all but destroy the integrity of science.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

This book looks pretty interesting from the perspective of human psychology. I don't know if I'm going to tag along or not at this stage.

I've known for some time that Robin Williamson, founder of the Incredible String Band, is a scientologist. I don't know how deep scientology belief goes. Are some scientolologists just casual believers? It seems so strange to think of someone believing this stuff at all. But I suspect it feeds into our need to belong just like any other religion.

Anyway, Williamson is a fantastic songwriter/musician/storyteller; I hardly hold his beliefs against him. Indeed, his sense of mysticism is what makes him who he is.
-Geo
Question everything
Lesley_Vos
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Thanks for this thread!

I have a long list of fiction to read (though time is sooooo limited to read them all), that's why all your recommendations as for non-fiction literature are what I really need now :-))

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”