• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Biochemistry and puppy dogs :)

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lehelvandor
Freshman

Re: Biochemistry and puppy dogs :)

Unread post

Indeed, thank heavens, the overall or "macro" effect of the environmentalist movement is a positive one - and some Carlin-esque sidelobes are just... funny :) and brighten up our lives;

The fact that you stopped at five dogs is actually really good - a swim coach friend of mine, who considers himself ultra-cold rational, ended up with 11 cats. Then he had to start advertising and try to find new homes when it just became untenable :)

On a slightly other and slightly more serious note, in Lake Balaton there was an environmental disaster because people wanted to "protect" something by introducing a natural element, a type of eel that was eating some green stuff.

The eel had no natural enemy, it multiplied in numbers that threatened tourism... and then they brought bunch of birds to try to eat them all... etc. etc. I think it was in the 70s-80s, not sure.

It is again a bit of playing god, and based on all parameters, thinking there is a right decision to intervene - but it blows up in our faces :) I guess we don't have to go that far, albeit wasn't an environmental consideration introducing them hence this is quite off-topic, but sheep in Australia did wonders for the whole landscape :)

Return to “Science & Technology”