• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What movie has remained with you years after watching it?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: What movie has remained with you years after watching it?

Unread post

Hard to say, but if I had to pick one it would be "inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March. Also had a good supporting case, Gene Kelly, Harry Morgan, Claude Akins, and Dick York.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:
Hard to say, but if I had to pick one it would be "inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March. Also had a good supporting case, Gene Kelly, Harry Morgan, Claude Akins, and Dick York.
Great pick Cattleman, Though its been years since I've seen " Inherit the Wind" it always seems to come back to me, One line of dialog that I just love is from Clarence Darrow while he has WJ Bryan on the witness stand, In questioning Bryan, Darrow asks Bryan if Bryan "Thinks about what he (Bryan) thinks about", Its a line straight from the court recording and to this day it just cracks me up.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Hard to say, but if I had to pick one it would be "inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March. Also had a good supporting case, Gene Kelly, Harry Morgan, Claude Akins, and Dick York.
Great choice, timeless, and under appreciated today. It's right up there on my very short list.

I remember watching this with my parent when I was very young. It intrigued me.
Just saw it last month. :)
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Taylor wrote:
Cattleman wrote:
Great pick Cattleman, Though its been years since I've seen " Inherit the Wind" it always seems to come back to me, One line of dialog that I just love is from Clarence Darrow while he has WJ Bryan on the witness stand, In questioning Bryan, Darrow asks Bryan if Bryan "Thinks about what he (Bryan) thinks about", Its a line straight from the court recording and to this day it just cracks me up.
Although the movie stereotypes a bit, I am able to appreciate its message.
The acting is superior.

I hope they dont remake it. Today's, uh.., people, would screw this classic up.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ant wrote:
Although the movie stereotypes a bit, I am able to appreciate its message.
The acting is superior.
The stereotyping was part of the drama for certain, whether intentional on the part of the studio/director I couldn't say, but in targeting the bible belt of the south, there was easy prey, its probably that exaggeration of stereotype that brings on a laugh from me.
This film was shown to us in school to demonstrate the controversy of teaching evolution in public schools in our nations past. What's interesting to me is that there was no hesitation or repercussions, no controversy in 1976's northeast Ohio over teaching evolution in public schools like we see in some states today, Is it conservatism vs. liberalism? I suppose maybe, what I do see is a level of societal retrograde that is to me counter productive to a knowledge regarding our collective primeval past.

Also interesting to me when I think about that time of my life was the local Church's connection to the public school system, I grew up a Catholic, I was attending regularly Sunday Mass, Friday night fish fry's were a staging ground for us kids to make our plans for the rest of the night, (usually where was the party going on) As I said a Catholic neighborhood, There were things going on that we kids had no idea of, for instance and we must go back a little to go forward, being a young Catholic meant Saturday mornings were devoted to learning the Catechism, Noah's Arc that sort of thing, for me, it was just more time hanging out with school friends. In time though the Saturday morning class attendance began to dwindle, One day I was offered a choice by my parents, continue CCD or stay home and do chores, (yard work, house work that sort of thing) Well since none of my friends were no longer involved in CCD my choice was chores, and that's what I did for years, till about that time of junior high school, that time of learning Darwin's evolution, and viewing "Inherit the Wind" again no biggie's. One day mom said that I was to renew my CCD classes, I was appalled, I was genuinely taken aback, I was a teen ager!, For years I had been free of responsibility toward Holy Trinity Church and the mental clutches of father Stan. My world, my freedom, all deflated, there goes my Monday nights. As I said though, there were things going on that we kids were clueless of. That dread night as I approached not Holy Trinity but Heskett Junior High, I was confused, delirious with anticipation, there was no escaping, no knowing what was to be expected inside that school. On the approach I recognized a few familiar faces, "good" I think to myself, I won't be in this totally alone.
There stands Father Stan to greet me, "Good evening Taylor, said the Father", I'm smiling, I nod in return, "Father", said I, I imagine this happening with all the other kids who have arrived ahead of me and those that fallow, none of us very sure of what's to come, we're teenagers, our lives are a bluff. I open the door to class, and there sits each and everyone of my friends, all the girls and boys from my school grade, looking no different from a few hours ago when I'd last seen them during regular classes, all with the same surprised look as me, none of us new whom to expect. What we knew, was that mom said we were going, period. Mom wanted it dad made it so, as I said we were clueless. Upon taking a seat, I could see physical relief in all my friends, Why?, Their fears were my fears, the unknown. They were relieved that they were not in this alone I guess or maybe they were just glad to see me who knows.
There are some things that are not debatable, in a Catholic neighborhood Conformation is one of them. I'll tell you this, Some of those thirteen year old kids had full beards and wore leather jackets to class, real tough guys, and the girls, well, what I'll say there is that I loved growing up in a promiscuous Catholic community.

I don't suffer mental trauma as a result of growing up Catholic, Philosophically without having lived through it, I wouldn't be who I am, and I like me.
Ant:
I hope they dont remake it. Today's, uh.., people, would screw this classic up
I agree, perhaps for slightly different reasons though, Not to set myself off on a different rant but to me one set back we see in the states today is historical revisionism through the lens of political correctness, PC to me is as Mark Levin calls it " a form of soft tyranny" and the revisionism degrades progresses of the past by calling into question the character of past generations. In the US those who last knew true freedom had many dirty rolls to play and along the way they voluntarily gave up that freedom in the name of progress.
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Actually, "Inherit the Wind" has been remade twice, both as television productions. In the 1988 version, Jason Robards played Henry Drummond (Clarence Darrow), and Kirk Douglas played Matthew Harrison Brady (William Jennings Bryan). In the 1999 remake, Jack Lemmon (yes, Jack Lemmon) played Drummond, and George C. Scott was Brady. I never saw either remake, so cannot comment on them.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Shelobstrosity
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hotel Rwanda. There are so many others, but that came to mind first.
"Rot," a free short horror story download from Freeditorial.
MeritaKing
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Pitch Black for me. It was the first movie that made me yell "wow" at the end. After watching that movie, it was like I had suddenly woken up after being asleep for years. I must've watched it a thousand times and never get tired of it.

Se7en was good too, and Predestination, two good examples there. Doom is another favourite of mine, and always makes me think of the video game called Quake. There are many examples I could give, all epic space operas, but Pitch Black has the crown.
Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another.
SueMe
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

One movie that always stick with me is From Dusk til Dawn. I seen it when I was younger (though I shouldn't have been watching it at the time) and I loved it ever since! I think it is the reason for my horror addiction today!

Also, everyone is mentioning quite a few films I haven't seen yet. I think I have some new films to add to my watch list :)
celeste
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Dexter wrote:The Matrix was great, what a letdown with the sequels though.

Also a fan of Seven.

A memorable movie that I rewatched recently is Sleepers, come to think of it, an all star cast, also with Brad Pitt, DeNiro, Kevin Bacon, Dustin Hoffman
Just saw Tootsie with Dustin Hoffmann. It is quite good, after all those years, really funny and thought provoking.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”