• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 756 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

Unbroken Laura Hillenbrand

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
jules12114
Official Newbie!

Unbroken Laura Hillenbrand

Unread post

This is my first time posting. I just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I found this story to be very uplifting, but I was completely shocked at just how severely the Japanese abused and tortured our POW's.
Jules
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Unbroken Laura Hillenbrand

Unread post

Hi jules, I am also 'reading' "Unbroken," (listening to it on an audiobook). Like you, I was shocked by the brutality. Over the past several years, I have made friends with several Japanese (not Americans of Japanese ancestry), and found them to be polite and friendly. Hard to believe that anyone could do such things. Then watch the six o'clock news and see what ISIS has been doing. Go figure.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
jules12114
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think what is alarming is we are all capable of this brutality. The Romans, the Huns, the Germans, and currently Isis. It is really disconcerting to read Wantanabe's account of his treatment of the POWs.
Hannah_Baston
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I haven't read the book but I will add it to my to read list.

I actually met a man who was a prisoner of war when I was in school. He came in to do a talk for history class.
I still remember his anger, he said when he sees a Japanese person on the street he refuses to greet them. He would never go to Japan.
This was coming from a man who loved the neighborhood, chatted to almost everyone and volunteered occasionally at the school.

The Japanese people that I have met have been like Cattleman described. Very polite and helpful.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

It does make one wonder, how can a people who individually seem so friendly, hard-working and intelligent become so bestial. I think of the Germans; I am or German heritage on my mother's line. The same people who gave us Wagner, Goethe, Planck, Einstein, etc. also gave us Hitler, Goering, Goebbels, and others. Yet the only native German I ever knew lived next door to us when I was growing up (I even dated his daughter). He was intelligent, hard working and friendly. He also hated Hitler. This was during World War II by the way. So who can tell?
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Hannah_Baston
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

A Lesley Pearce novel I read, Survivor delved into the topic of war and the mindset it creates in people.

It was a fictional story, but the characters all believed it was kill or be killed. They were fighting for their country and had to be ruthless.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”