• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
BookReaderUSA
Master Debater

Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Unread post

I recently finished Uncle Tom's Cabin for the first time this Saturday. It was such a historic book. Who else has read it? What do you think of it?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Unread post

My daughter read it and raved about it - one of the books that changed the world...
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

After many years, I decided I should read the book that Abraham Lincoln said was so influential. Meeting H.B. Stowe, he said he was glad to meet "the little lady who started this great war." The book can best be described in my opinion as a good melodrama. Stowe isn't subtle, but she's skilful in making us care about the characters and in moving the plots and subplots along. To modern readers, she'll come across as unenlightened insofar as she subscribes to genetic differences between Negroes and whites. Negroes are good at feeling and suffer just as keenly as whites do, but to her they don't have the same intellectual prowess. Uncle Tom himself has integrity and strength, but he doesn't fight against the injustice of the slave system, he just endures. That explains why to generations of black Americans his name is equivalent to sell-out. I don't think that's fair to the character in the context of his situation, but it is how he is seen.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I am somewhat ashamed to admit I have never read this book. Perhaps due to my southern (U.S.) upbringing. However, it is now on my 'bucket list.; I cannot comment on whether it would be a good book for our discussion groups; perhaps after I have read at least part of it.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”