• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

The Science of Superstition

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: The Science of Superstition

Unread post

youkrst wrote:Ah.... I see, good stuff gentlemen... Carry on :-D

So instead of seeing literalists if I think more of the other end of the spectrum I shall understand better.... Yes, that is better, thanks gents, I'll put the inner attack dog back on the chain :lol:
I wouldn't say call off the dogs, just know that you're dealing with a fringe population. Or I hope at least.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

geo, I'd like to thank your post twice.

Humanism must mean that we've found ways to surmount the prison of our egos, if I can use some exaggeration.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

from the article
Even atheists seem to fear a higher power. A study published last year found that self-identified nonbelievers began to sweat when reading aloud sentences asking God to do terrible things (“I dare God to make my parents drown”). Not only that, they stressed out just as much as believers did
i suspect this sort of thing could be a result of not having "found their centre"

there is still that residue of "child dependence"

they haven't met the buddha on the road and killed him yet (not sure if you know that principle)

they dont yet "know themselves"

so they have a residual child like fear
as they say, there are no atheists in foxholes.
Interbane and Chris are atheists and if i was in a foxhole i wouldn't mind having those two for company at all :-D

Bane wouldn't budge a nanometer and Chris would probably just start mixing cocktails or find the scotch or make a nice bacon and egg sandwich :-D

i'm more a transcendentalist agnostic but i'm regularly in foxholes

my belief system doesn't waver one whit, foxhole or ballroom the centre holds firm. It's not really a belief system, it's more an inner realm, an awareness a still point in the centre so to speak. It has many names, the axis, xanadu, shangri-la and so on, but they are just metaphors.
we attribute intentions to the natural world in much the same way that we attribute intentions to other people. Indeed, a recent paper from a lab at the University of British Columbia reported that the better study participants were at reading others, the more strongly they believed in God, the paranormal, and the notion that life has a purpose

hmmmm i'm dubious about that

i mean no doubt most of us do but is that a good thing, no i dont think so.

and remember

Derren Brown is an atheist and no one, NOBODY, can read you better than the mighty DB.

He knows you better than you know yourself :-D
Fear is another driver of irrationality. In a British study, students imagined an encounter with a self-professed witch who offered to cast an evil spell on them. About half said a scientist should accept the hex without concern. Yet each of them said that, personally, they’d decline the offer
bring it on witchy poos, hah! you call that a curse :-D

now this is a curse :lol:

Return to “Science & Technology”