• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

If you were God which of the following things would you prevent?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

If you were God which of the following things would you prevent?

The Holocaust

5%
birth defects

4%
Childhood Leukemia

5%
cancer

6%
Hurricane Katrina

4%
Osama bin Laden

4%
gazelles being eaten alive by cheetahs

3%
rape

4%
World War l

4%
World War ll

4%
The Vietnam War

4%
Rwanda Genocide

4%
The Nanking Massacre

4%
The Crusades

4%
torture of animals for amusement

4%
sexual abuse of children

5%
infanticide

4%
world hunger

5%
Justin Beiber

3%
AIDS

5%
slavery

5%
Sinking of the Titanic

3%
Sandy Hook Elementary murders

3%
Columbine Massacre

3%
The crucifixion/murder of your own son, Jesus Christ

4%

Total votes: 313
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: If you were God which of the following things would you prevent?

Unread post

Flann5 wrote:You are saying here that God should create pre-programmed beings only capable of making good choices. Saying that because God is omniscient and omnipotent he should be able to make robots who can make real choices is the same as saying he can make a square circle. It's not a matter of omniscience or omnipotence.
The good choice is not really good without the bad choice. It's just programming.
So am I pre-programmed if I do not have any evil options in front of me? There are many choices I make every day where all the options are good, and I choose between them. How is this any different? Am I not free unless evil is an option? Then I'm not free during most of every day.

But as I said in my first post in this thread, I chose only the options in Chris' poll where free will wasn't an issue. Natural disasters and diseases that cause suffering. If the world was created by a being, then that being is responsible for the things that happen. If the things that happen cause suffering and evil, then the being cannot have the 3 O's.

Your reference to the definitions of the concepts is spot on. You can't have a square circle, because that's inherently contradictory. You can't have an omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent being be the creator of this universe, because that is also inherently contradictory. You cannot hold those definitions of god to be true at the same time evil exists. It's inherently contradictory, and there is absolutely no appeal that changes this(please look at the definitions of the words). We can mince this up and rehash it a hundred thousand times using different phrasing, but it's not going to change. I guess I keep rehashing it because I have a slight hope you'll see how impossible your position is. Should I have hope?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

http://news.yahoo.com/westerners-join-i ... 45016.html

When will we see Atheists put it all on the line.

Oh thats right. Atheism only means disbelief.
And disbelievers mostly like to argue against the god of Christianity where everything is nice and safe.

When will we see you specifically denounce Islam with the same care you put into denouncing Christianity, Interbane?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:When will we see you specifically denounce Islam with the same care you put into denouncing Christianity, Interbane?
Whenever a Muslim posts on this board promoting his false beliefs. For what it's worth, view Christianity and Islam as equally deluded worldviews. It's just that more Christians come here.
When will we see Atheists put it all on the line.
When will atheists join the holy war!!!111!!

I'm sure there are atheist soldiers in the armed forces just as there are Christians. Would a specific account of an atheist dying in the middle east appease you?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: And disbelievers mostly like to argue against the god of Christianity where everything is nice and safe.

When will we see you specifically denounce Islam with the same care you put into denouncing Christianity, Interbane?
Yes, that's what the world needs. More religious zealots who want to usher in the end time !
-Geo
Question everything
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

ant wrote:When will we see Atheists put it all on the line.
put it all on the line?! , it's never been anywhere else.
Oh thats right. Atheism only means disbelief.
what's that got to do with anything?! give us a better definition if you have one.
And disbelievers mostly like to argue against the god of Christianity where everything is nice and safe.
rubbish, you are either stupid or being wilfully misrepresentative. I say the latter.
:roll: have you been here so long ant and you don't know Interbane yet?

that post of yours reads like a desparate man trying to hold on to a little peice of wood in an ocean of truth.

it reads like the classic ant snarky post.

don't engage, don't be forthright, just make snide comments from the sidelines as if you are somehow superior.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

hierarchies and power structures etc religions, Gods (specific versions) never seem to have to justify themselves.

if they did we would see that what boomed like thunder was a pathetic little wheeze hiding behind the curtain.

the believer accepts the authority and never thinks to see it justify itself.

this thread seems a great example of what happens when a specific authority (the god of orthodox christianity and other monotheisms) is looked at in terms of justifying itself (it's supporters trying to show why the authority is just)

they can't

the authority is bogus

the only authority the god of the monotheists has is the authority given to it by people who have not questioned it sufficiently.

Authoritarian monotheism presents this

questioning reveals this

Last edited by youkrst on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

If God is purely hypothetical (which he/she/it always will be), than he/she/it exists outside of nature and outside the realm of logic as well. We can make up anything we want to explain why he/she/it allows evil in the world and that can't be challenged on the basis of it being illogical. The goalpost can be moved at will. But by that same token, if God exists outside of logic, that immediately renders a thousand years of apologist theology—which attempts to make God logical—obsolete. You can't have it both ways.
-Geo
Question everything
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

geo wrote:You can't have it both ways.
speaking of which

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKc4NCRrTc
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

youkrst generously presented!

speaking of which

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKc4NCRrTc
Earlier today I popped in at home for lunch, checked out the link, so for the better part of the afternoon this odd song was stuck in my head, sometimes I sing out loud at work, :blush:
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:lol: somebody out there is probably still holding out for the reunion tour :lol:

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”