• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Chapter 2: Science and hope

#136: Feb. - Mar. 2015 (Non-Fiction)
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Chapter 2: Science and hope

Unread post

Of course you can't believe it.
I'm not saying I can't. I don't. Why would I? You tell a story on a forum that's a second hand anecdote that contains unbelievable events. Stahrwe, what do you expect?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Stahrwe's retold story from Jim posits a God who intervened to protect Christian missionaries in China.

Ok so now we have to consider what we think of a God who lets birds crap on an official but does absolutely nothing to stop countless children being sexually abused by His very own priests, does nothing to stop countless atrocities which were I to make you watch the videos would sicken you, disgust you beyond belief.

Do not expect me not to express doubt as to the decency of this so called God.

It seems to me this version of God is the horrible figment of a mind that refuses to think let alone grow up.

If this god exists he deserves to die.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane, I knew you COULD NOT believe it because you are right - That is NOT how the world works. It defies Sagan's Chapter 2.

The thing is, Sagan is pontificating. His Chapter 2 is a repetitious statement of his opinion. It is his philosophy. My story was a statement of events which I represent as being a true account of something told to me by an eyewitness to said events. It is not my opinion or my philosophy. I did NOT say it was a miracle or that God did it. All I asked was for an explanation in the context of Chapter 2. It cannot he explained in said context so it must be denied.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

• Evidently the police as well as friends, family, and co-workers of that Chinese official didn't care much about him, to leave him standing frozen on a street corner for more than 24 hours?
  • If they had taken the official to a hospital we might have a good explanation for what happened to him.
  • What was the official's name? Has anyone ever asked him about that incident?
He no longer visits China. His last visit ended prematurely and abruptly as he was spirited out when the local Christians got word that the police were on their way, at that very moment, to the meeting to arrest him.
  • How do you explain that, did the paralytic power of prayer perish?
  • I vaguely recall hearing a story in church a looong time ago about local missionaries who went to Africa and were walking around during a torrential downpour. Everyone and everything around was totally drenched except for the two missionaries who remained bone dry even though they didn't use umbrellas. How do you explain that?
  • Does evidence of this quality trump science? That's part of what the book is about.
Last edited by LanDroid on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
What kind if society could we create if, instead, we drummed into them science and a sense of hope?
- Sagan, C
Not trying to be the pessimist here, but we would probably have a very similar society as we have today. If society suddenly valued science above any other human construct, it does not follow that the "hope" Sagan wishes for humanity would immediately follow.
I think you're missing the point. Carl is not claiming one follows the other: "what if we drummed into them science AND a sense of hope?" You have to teach both. It's as if Sagan said we should teach bricklaying and art history to all students, then you respond by saying "Sounds great, but teaching bricklaying doesn't mean they'll learn art history." Science certainly can inspire wonder and hope, especially these aspects are taught. Even then hope and wonder are not for everyone; what was that insignificance machine in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Do you mean a hospital with CAT scan facilities, capable of doing blood work analysis, etc.?
At the time, and even now, they don't exist in many places in China.

Landroid, you are creating gaps in order to justify your disbelief and you are missing my point.

But, I will humor you by posting another example later today.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:You may believe the story or not at your own risk.
At the risk of being gullible?

What about anecdotal accounts from people who genuinely believe they were abducted by aliens and can even provide many details of the accounts? Based on these anecdotal reports alone, are we to believe that aliens visit earth in flying saucers to abduct humans and perform experiments on them? Do you believe them, Stahrwe?
-Geo
Question everything
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

George Washington's account of being shot multiple times but not wounded.

How does Sagan account for this?

The link will take you to page 301 which has his letter to his mother about his reported death. But I suggest you go back to about page 260 or so, wherever GEORGE WASHINGTON section begins. Some pages are skipped in Google books but the whole e book is available for free on Google play.

George Washington shot 4 times but not wounded.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Geo, your are engaging in poor arguing technique. Your are attempting to equate two circumstances which are not similar.

My challenge missionary story was told to me by a close friend of many decades whose integrity has been demonstrated to me over that time. And who was present at the event. To equate that a situation with the claims of an abductee who is totally unknown to me and ask if I believe that person's story is a familiar tactic but a poor one in argumentation.

The story of missionaries who remained dry in a rainstorm is even further adrift in the sea of poor argumentation.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

The story of missionaries who remained dry in a rainstorm is even further adrift in the sea of poor argumentation.
In what way? It was told from the pulpit of a church by a minister; I'm fully confident the details of the story were thoroughly vetted. Both your story and mine have been vouched for. Aha, perhaps the skepticism you hold against my story is a clue!

George Washington's story (letters p. 301) is similar to experiences of surviving soldiers in every war before and since. Why would we think there's Order in that randomness?

Return to “Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark - by Carl Sagan with Ann Druyan”