• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Cyber Warfare...

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Cyber Warfare...

Unread post

Freedom of speech is our Constitutional right, but is it always the best policy in all aspects of our lives? Personal, international, on the internet, in politics? I'm finding that people can be mean and vicious just because nobody knows who they are, or maybe they wouldn't care either way.

Let's not get into Cyber Warfare over a silly movie. I think Sony was right in pulling the picture. No need for some lone wolf shooting up a movie theater on Christmas day.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Cyber Warfare...

Unread post

I am in agreement Crystalline. While I am totally p.o.d at whoever did the hacking, and at that pompous little jerk in North Korea preening about his 'victory,' it is minor compared to what might have happened. It would only take one lone wolf to cause a real tragedy, be it in New York City, Los Angeles, or Spearfish, South Dakota.

I have seen several suggestions for how Sony could respond. My own suggestion is to release the file to DVDs with no big hoopla. They could recoup some of their losses with little fear of a terrorist attack.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I don't think the theaters balked at the movie for fear of mass shootings. They didn't want Sony's experience of having all computer systems ransacked and published, potentially shutting down those corporations instantly.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Does everyone think it was N Korea that performed the attack? I keep wondering, at other groups that could have done it, or a vigilante group, hoping to get the US and NK into a fight with each other. Now N Korean internet is going dark, making it appear as if the US is retaliating. Perhaps that is the same group also?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Hard to know...the North Korean remarks border on insanity. First they say they didn't do it, then follow up with a remark that the next attack will be even worse. I'm pretty ignorant about what can and cannot be done as far as tracking and/or hacking goes, so have to just wait and see...
I think cyber warfare is scarrier than regular warfare. They can shut down my SS payments - LOL!!!

Return to “Current Events & History”