• In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it.

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

Christian scriptures say that in heaven, there is no marriage.

When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.
http://biblehub.com/mark/12-25.htm

As above so below, on earth as it is in heaven, indicates that when God returns to reclaim dominion from Satan, marriage will be abolished.

Why then do most religion of the Abrahamic root advocate marriage at all. Especially the polygamy. God does not favor marriage. If no two souls are to marry in heaven, then the law on earth should be that no two people marry.

We should emulate Jesus in all things and remember that as a Jew, he was almost forced by tradition to marry yet never did even though Gnostic Christian scriptures show him as loving Mary Magdalen more than his male disciples. Even kissing her on the (unknown parts). That is why I suggest that Jesus married Mary. Marriage was expected of all Rabbis.

This modern Gnostic Christian thinks marriage is the way to go, with a single mate, be that a mate of the same gender or not. Love is what is important. Not gender. That aside, I think that frees choice should reign in this issue.

Do you think we should abolish marriage and move closer to God’s heavenly law?

Regards
DL
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it.

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:As above so below, on earth as it is in heaven, indicates that when God returns to reclaim dominion from Satan, marriage will be abolished.
You couldn't possibly conclude from reading the bible that God forbids marriage. The statement by Jesus that in the resurrection they do not marry, doesn't require the conclusion that God forbids marriage on earth,which he plainly does not.

"As above so below," you say,but according to you, there is no above or God (other than you) to model anything on.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Gnostic Christian scriptures show him as loving Mary Magdalen more than his male disciples. Even kissing her on the (unknown parts). That is why I suggest that Jesus married Mary. Marriage was expected of all Rabbis.
Why on earth should anyone pay the slightest attention to the Gnostic scriptures? Do you believe with the evil literalists that Jesus existed historically? Did he marry Mary Magdalen or did his non-existent, invented cartoon character perform this feat?
And Jesus was not a traditional Rabbi trained in the Rabbinic schools,that's what surprised them about him,so he was under no such obligation.
You really should get your facts straight,before dreaming up your anti-orthodox Christianity threads.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:This modern Gnostic Christian thinks marriage is the way to go, with a single mate,
Why not follow the evolutionary models in nature of walruses, hedgehogs or catfish? That would be more consistent with your world view.
If because you think Jesus married Mary Magdalen, marriage is the way to go,how do you reconcile this with Jesus being the one to say that in the next life they don't marry? According to your logic he shouldn't have married Mary Magdalen if "as above so below."
And incidentally on your "Christianity ushering in the dark ages" here's an article on that claim. I don't endorse all that Roman emperors,or Popes may have done, but I do suggest that your version of history is badly skewed.
www.christianthinktank.com/qburnbx.html
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Flann wrote:Why on earth should anyone pay the slightest attention to the Gnostic scriptures?
because they are magnificent when you know the symbolism and it's psychological reference.

here is an example of what is in my opinion a sublime piece of writing

http://gnosis.org/library/hymnpearl.htm

an excerpt
My Glorious Robe they took off me
Which in their love they had wrought me,

And my Purple Mantle [also]
Which was woven to match with my stature.
hmmm ring any bells

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seamless_robe_of_Jesus
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:As above so below, on earth as it is in heaven, indicates that when God returns to reclaim dominion from Satan, marriage will be abolished.
You couldn't possibly conclude from reading the bible that God forbids marriage. The statement by Jesus that in the resurrection they do not marry, doesn't require the conclusion that God forbids marriage on earth,which he plainly does not.

"As above so below," you say,but according to you, there is no above or God (other than you) to model anything on.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Gnostic Christian scriptures show him as loving Mary Magdalen more than his male disciples. Even kissing her on the (unknown parts). That is why I suggest that Jesus married Mary. Marriage was expected of all Rabbis.
Why on earth should anyone pay the slightest attention to the Gnostic scriptures? Do you believe with the evil literalists that Jesus existed historically? Did he marry Mary Magdalen or did his non-existent, invented cartoon character perform this feat?
And Jesus was not a traditional Rabbi trained in the Rabbinic schools,that's what surprised them about him,so he was under no such obligation.
You really should get your facts straight,before dreaming up your anti-orthodox Christianity threads.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:This modern Gnostic Christian thinks marriage is the way to go, with a single mate,
Why not follow the evolutionary models in nature of walruses, hedgehogs or catfish? That would be more consistent with your world view.
If because you think Jesus married Mary Magdalen, marriage is the way to go,how do you reconcile this with Jesus being the one to say that in the next life they don't marry? According to your logic he shouldn't have married Mary Magdalen if "as above so below."
That contradiction is what is at issue.

This O.P. is looking more at the Christian view. Best not to mix the Gnostic Christian view. The Christian view is what has, he shall rule over you in it's immoral heart.

Regards
DL
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

It's the Gnostics and your argument that "as above so below." You never tire of saying it.You seem to have trouble answering simple questions.
You say that a gnostic scripture reference is why you suggest Jesus married Mary Magdalen.
Do you believe that Jesus existed historically and married Mary Magdalen, is what I asked you?
The cat's got your tongue now it seems.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:It's the Gnostics and your argument that "as above so below." You never tire of saying it.You seem to have trouble answering simple questions.
You say that a gnostic scripture reference is why you suggest Jesus married Mary Magdalen.
Do you believe that Jesus existed historically and married Mary Magdalen, is what I asked you?
The cat's got your tongue now it seems.
Not at all. We think all the scriptures and Gods to be myths. That would include Jesus.

He is a great archetypal good man though and that is how we wrote him up.

You will know that the Jews expected to see a new Jesus in every generation, as well as all the prophet archetypes.

I would have thought that the first link I gave you would have shown how we think it is all myth.

Let me give it again in case you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

BTW. On earth as in heaven is a Christian saying.

Regards
DL

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”