• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Are Mediums Real?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Are Mediums Real?

Unread post

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

(thanks D.M. Murdock)

it seems many still run with this :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundus_vul ... decipiatur
"The pontifex maximus Scævola thought it expedient that the people should be deceived in religion; and the learned Varro said plainly, that there are many truths, which it is useless for the vulgar to know; and many falsities which it is fit the people should not suppose are falsities. (Note: Vid Augustin. de civ. Dei, B. 4 [...].) Hence comes the adage "Mundus vult decipi, decipiatur ergo." [4]
it's the "mushroom principle"

"keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em shite"
Last edited by youkrst on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

youkrst wrote:Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

it seems many still run with this :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundus_vul ... decipiatur
"The pontifex maximus Scævola thought it expedient that the people should be deceived in religion; and the learned Varro said plainly, that there are many truths, which it is useless for the vulgar to know; and many falsities which it is fit the people should not suppose are falsities. (Note: Vid Augustin. de civ. Dei, B. 4 [...].) Hence comes the adage "Mundus vult decipi, decipiatur ergo." [4]
it's the "mushroom principle"

"keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em shite"

(thanks D.M. Murdock)
We are what we eat.

I am careful with my diet.

Regards
DL
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

We are what we eat.

Regards
DL
and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not harm them :-D
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

have you sacrificed a mind of your own? :-D

i love this bible verse
"Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
i remember being dead and hearing the voice :-D
And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,

ahhh to be called out of death into the glorious sunshine of your love...

:wink:

say no more... :lol:
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
We are what we eat.

Regards
DL
That is what the dead snake handlers are saying.

Regards
DL
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
We are what we eat.

Regards
DL
I shouldn't even share this but it reminded me of something. I've been busy in the workshop and listening to loud music. Yesterday I played Whole Lotta Love over and over (it's a good tune to work to) and thought, it sounds so much like he's saying, "You need Kooooool Aid..."
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

That is what the dead snake handlers are saying.
the letter kills :-D (in this case literally boom tish)

literalism strikes again :wink:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm about 1/2 way through Lorraine's book and it is getting stranger and stranger. In my opinion the author suffers from some sort of delusional personality disorder where she struggles to differentiate between what is real and what is imagined.

I've got a DSM-IV, but as a layperson, I'll stick with what Web MD has to offer:
Web MD wrote:Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, which are unshakable beliefs in something untrue. People with delusional disorder experience non-bizarre delusions, which involve situations that could occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, deceived, conspired against, or loved from a distance. These delusions usually involve the misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or highly exaggerated.

People with delusional disorder often can continue to socialize and function normally, apart from the subject of their delusion, and generally do not behave in an obviously odd or bizarre manner. This is unlike people with other psychotic disorders, who also might have delusions as a symptom of their disorder. In some cases, however, people with delusional disorder might become so preoccupied with their delusions that their lives are disrupted.

Although delusions might be a symptom of more common disorders, such as schizophrenia, delusional disorder itself is rather rare. Delusional disorder most often occurs in middle to late life and is slightly more common in women than in men.
As far as the type of delusional disorder at play...
Web MD wrote:Grandiose: A person with this type of delusional disorder has an over-inflated sense of worth, power, knowledge, or identity. The person might believe he or she has a great talent or has made an important discovery.
The entire book is filled with Lorraine explaining how her medium abilities are the real deal and superior to the medium abilities other people possess. Lorraine has a great talent and has made an important discovery.

Web MD goes on to explain...
Web MD wrote:What Are the Symptoms of Delusional Disorder?

Hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not really there) that are related to the delusion (For example, a person who believes he or she has an odor problem may smell a bad odor.)
The problem is people with these delusions don't realize they have a problem...
Web MD wrote:How Is Delusional Disorder Treated?

Treatment for delusional disorder most often includes medication and psychotherapy (a type of counseling). Delusional disorder can be very difficult to treat in part because its sufferers often have poor insight and do not recognize that a psychiatric problem exists. Studies show that close to half of patients treated with antipsychotic medications show at least partial improvement.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Here is a book that Lorraine and others suffering from these psychic experiences might benefit from.

From Psychic to Psychotic and Beyond: A True Story About My Bipolar Disorder
By Kerry Ann Jacobs
After being admitted to hospital in 2010, following a long period of severe psychosis, Kerry Ann Jacobs was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Her book, From Psychic to Psychotic and Beyond, is the compelling story of how her experience with a complex web of psychic and psychotic episodes affected her and those around her. As a sufferer of bipolar disorder myself and the caretaker of a son with the same, I found Jacobs’s account extremely useful.

The book is divided into three contrasting sections. The first part is the author’s personal account of her psychic experiments, which developed seamlessly into psychosis without her noticing. The second part is her mother’s account of the author’s hospitalizations, and her denial and final acceptance of her mental illness. Part three contains sections from Jacobs’s diaries, written at the time of her psychosis, as well as clinical and legal documents relating to the same period.

Jacobs was born in Christchurch, New Zealand, in 1965. Throughout her childhood, though she had loving and close relationships with her parents and siblings, she was tormented in school about her weight. After leaving school, she worked in banking for several years, then traveled to Europe to broaden her experience. Recovering from a broken relationship, she enrolled in law school. After graduating in 2005, she set up independently as a family barrister.

Three years later, her business was thriving, yet Jacobs suddenly found herself pining for her deceased grandmother. The loss of her loved one led her to Don’t Kiss Them Goodbye, by psychic medium Allison Dubois. After reading the book, Jacobs began to feel her grandmother’s presence, and to notice other spiritual signs. Within months, she was experimenting with a crystal ball, in which she began to see images and words that were to have a profound influence on her life. It was only a short time before she began to hear the voices of her spirit guide, Wes, initially pleasant and helping her through life.

As time went by, Jacobs began to believe that many of the people around her were actually spirits that had passed over. She lost the ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality, yet somehow managed to get through her daily routine as a barrister. As she plunged deeper into psychosis, she spent more and more time communicating with her “spirit friends,” who included Heath Ledger, Princess Dianna, and Albert Einstein. Her world was now comprised of overlapping layers where real people and her imaginings were distinguishable only by their means of communication.

Then things took a turn for the worse. The author’s fragile world became overrun by demons, whom she believed were out to kill her. Less than a year later, the demons had become more than she could deal with and she sought treatment in hospital. It would take another 12 months before she could finally accept her illness and deny her demons. Happily, she is now able to live a peaceful life, and she continues to maintain her legal practice.

In contrast to the often terrifying flights of psychosis in the first chapters, Jacobs’s mother’s story is one of grief, guilt, and harrowing concern. Beginning with Kerry Jacobs’s first admission to hospital, Pam Jacob’s story is raw with emotion as she battles with her daughter’s reluctance to accept her illness, and a healthcare system that is not fulfilling its promises.

“I felt guilty most of the time because my heart sank every time she visited me,” Pam Jacobs writes, “and I knew that I would be on edge the whole time, watching her for obvious signs of psychosis.”

While Pam Jacobs tries on numerous occasions to help her daughter, Kerry Jacobs refuses to let her be involved in her care. The mother’s chapters fill in the gaps in her daughter’s memory from this time, recounting the trauma and failure of a range of medications. Finally, after 18 months of turmoil, Kerry Jacobs’s psychiatrist changes her medication and suddenly she began a symptom-free life.

Reading the book, I had to stop on several occasions to reflection my own experiences as both a sufferer of and caretaker for someone with bipolar disorder. I wish that I’d had this book during the time I was struggling to get my adolescent son’s symptoms stabilized. Learning about Jacobs’s most difficult periods of psychosis and her subsequent stable life and successful legal practice would certainly have given me strength. Readers with a connection to bipolar disorder will feel less isolated when they read Jacobs’s book.
You can order Kerry's book at http://www.amazon.com/From-Psychic-Psyc ... ychcentral
Attachments
41aArD8OaZL.SX225_SY300_CR,0,0,225,300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
41aArD8OaZL.SX225_SY300_CR,0,0,225,300_SH20_OU01_.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 7131 times
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”