• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Stephen Collins... forgive and forget?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Stephen Collins... forgive and forget?

Unread post

I saw a short clip of Katie Couric's interview with Stephen Collins, the Seventh Heaven actor who has been in the headlines recently for indecent exposure/sexual misconduct with a minor.

I saw only the short clip and I can't find it now but in it, he claimed that the incident occurred after his wife went to bed and while he was alone on the couch with a young girl and that he knew immediately he had made a mistake.

At first, I thought no way... you were hoping your wife would go to bed, you thought that out (premeditated) and followed through on a fantasy and now you're opening the door for all pedophiles, but then I wondered... is it possible that a man could "make a mistake" like that and not actually have pedophilia tendencies?
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Re: Stephen Collins... forgive and forget?

Unread post

Is there a delete button?
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Re: Stephen Collins... forgive and forget?

Unread post

kathi wrote:Perhaps we must first redefine our definitions of God before we can answer what that God can do in relation to us.
What on earth does god have to do with it?

I brought the point up to gain some insight into MAN'S behaviour, wondering if a man who molests children (apparently, three different girls) is a pedophile or merely has "exhibitionist tendencies" as Stephen Collins claims he had and so even though the victims were minors, there is no pedophilia label.

Do men grow up without boundaries and have to resist the impulse to stay away from minors... children... and most are successful at resisting? Or do most men never have those impulses? Where does the line cross between being impulsive, making a mistake and learning from it, and actually being a pedophile?

I am a woman who has never looked at a child sexually - just never occurred to me. I believed the majority of people do not. But after reading about Collins I'm puzzled by the label of pedophilia and what it means and when it does and doesn't apply. What does the law say?

Return to “Everything Else”