• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 700 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 am

Richard II - Intro

#135: Dec. - Jan. 2015 (Fiction)
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Richard II - Intro

Unread post

We should probably have a separate Richard II subforum, but for now this can go here in the Henry IV, Part 1 thread.

Here's the promised Bevington intro to Richard II. Interestingly, Bevington lists this play as "The Tragedy of Richard the Second." We all know what happens at the end of this play.

http://www.wordcentrist.net/rich_II_intro.pdf

I just noticed that I still have Bevington's intro to A Midummer Night's Dream on my server as well.

http://www.wordcentrist.net/bevington_midsummer.pdf
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Re: Richard II - Intro

Unread post

Once again, I turn to the Royal Shakespeare Company for a brief synopsis of this play . . .

Synopsis

A story of power and plotting, Richard II is the first of Shakespeare's four plays about the House of Lancaster.

In the presence of King Richard, Henry Bolingbroke (who will eventually be Henry IV) accuses Thomas Mowbray (Duke of Norfolk) of embezzling crown funds and of plotting the death of his uncle, the Duke of Gloucester. They will not be reconciled and are about to fight, but Richard stops the combat before it can begin.

Exile
Bolingbroke is exiled for ten years (later reduced to six); Mowbray is exiled for life.

John of Gaunt (Duke of Lancaster, uncle to the king and Bolingbroke's father) dies after accusing Richard of improper government. Richard orders the seizure of Gaunt's property, denying Bolingbroke his inheritance. He then departs for Ireland, appointing his other uncle York to govern in his absence.

Uprising
The Duke of Northumberland reveals that Bolingbroke has returned to England with an army. Bolingbroke persuades his uncle York that he has returned for his rightful inheritance, not to start a rebellion against the crown.

Richard returns from Ireland to discover that his Welsh troops have deserted him, that York has allied himself with Bolingbroke, and the common people are rising against him.

Richard agrees to Bolingbroke's demands
Bolingbroke and his supporters meet with Richard. Bolingbroke promises to surrender his arms if his banishment is repealed and his inheritance restored. Richard agrees to his demands.

Richard's cousin, the Duke of Aumerle, is accused of murdering the Duke of Gloucester. Bolingbroke arrests everyone involved in the allegations. Richard agrees to abdicate. Bolingbroke announces his coronation.

Plotting
A plot is hatched to restore Richard to the throne. York discovers that his son Aumerle is involved in a plot to kill Bolingbroke. Aumerle confesses to Bolingbroke, and is pardoned. Richard is killed whilst imprisoned in Pomfret Castle.

Bolingbroke receives news of his supporters' efforts to defeat his detractors. Exton presents Richard's body to Bolingbroke, only to be rewarded with banishment. Bolingbroke promises to undertake a pilgrimage to expiate his sins.

http://www.rsc.org.uk/whats-on/richard-ii/synopsis.aspx

A more detailed overview here . . .

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/plays ... cenes.html
-Geo
Question everything
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Geo wrote:
We should probably have a separate Richard II subforum, but for now this can go here in the Henry IV, Part 1 thread.
Thanks for the links and synopsis. I am game for a continued discussion as long as you are.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I am finding that WS can be more than a casual read, I picked up a Folger Library addition of Richard 2 from a local used book shop for a buck. This Folger copy titles this play as a tragedy also.
jetsam
Master Debater

Unread post

Hi
I'm interested in joining this discussion if it goes ahead.
I saw Richard II and Henry IV Part I and Part II last year. I wish I'd got here sooner and could have joined the discussion on Henry IV.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

jetsam wrote:Hi
I'm interested in joining this discussion if it goes ahead.
I saw Richard II and Henry IV Part I and Part II last year. I wish I'd got here sooner and could have joined the discussion on Henry IV.
Hi Jetsam,

Welcome aboard! The Henry IV discussion has wound down, but that's not to say the discussion can't pick up again. Feel free to post your thoughts any time.

I'm getting ready to start reading Richard II. Don't know how many people will be participating. The more the merrier. Of the four plays in the Henriad, I believe Henry IV, part 1, is by far the most popular. I recently perused the Shakespeare section of a local used book shop and there were quite a few Henry IV, part 1s, for sale. And quite a few Richard IIIs, which belongs to Shakeseare's first tetralogy (that includes Henry VI parts 1–3). There were lots of Macbeths and Hamlets and Othellos of course. But no Richard IIs or Henry IV, part 2s.

By the way, where did you see Richard II and Henry IV Part I and Part II?
-Geo
Question everything
jetsam
Master Debater

Unread post

Hi Geo, thanks

The three plays were performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company in England last year and the performances were broadcast to cinemas round the world. I saw them here in Australia. David Tennant played Richard.

I think you'll enjoy Richard II. Although it's not a popular play, I read somewhere that it is one of Shakespeare's top 3 history plays and more significant that than Richard III.

It's interesting to compare the openings of Richard II and Henry IV Pt I. In both scenes we're looking at kings who are about to face deadly challenges, but who for the moment are unaware of what lies ahead.

The beginning of Henry IV is very poetic with Henry's hopeful speech of reconciliation and redemption which opens:

"So shaken as we are, so wan with care,
Find we a time for frighted peace to pant,
And breathe short-winded accents of new broils
To be commenced in strands afar remote..."

The opening of Richard II on the other hand is much more businesslike and mundane with the king introducing the two nobles who have a quarrel with each other, followed by a series of ritualised challenges and responses.

Richard II as a whole has much in it of lyrical beauty, but I think Henry IV Pt I wins in terms of memorable opening lines.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

jetsam wrote:Hi Geo, thanks

The three plays were performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company in England last year and the performances were broadcast to cinemas round the world. I saw them here in Australia. David Tennant played Richard.
I'll have to look out for that production. Maybe it will air on BBC or something.

Meanwhile, I was recently looking at this recent Globe Theatre production of 1 Henry IV . . .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RP ... PDKIKX0DER
-Geo
Question everything
jetsam
Master Debater

Unread post

Did you watch the Globe Theatre production. What was it like? Was Falstaff good? I think it's tricky getting the right actor for him.

The production of Richard II that I saw is actually available on DVD if you're interested. It's a brand new production by the Royal Shakespeare Company filmed live at Stratford:
http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Rich ... B00J379KKW

Return to “King Henry IV, Part 1 (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series) (Pt. 1) - by William Shakespeare”