• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 726 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

Christmas memories... annoying relatives... favorite song...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Christmas memories... annoying relatives... favorite song...

Unread post

Today I had a memory surface and it was just so refreshing: I was outside in the cold, sitting on top of a mountain (hill) of snow we piled at the end of our sidewalk, feeling very excited because I was certain Santa was going to bring me a Green Acres cutout paper doll book! I believed in Santa Claus - what a magical feeling that was.

Christmas in our home was always very festive - there was a lot of food/candy/baked goods... company coming and going. Christmas Eve was fondue night, people popped in and cooked things right at the table and it was very loud and crowded and just thrilling.

My parents borrowed money every year to stuff loads of presents under the tree and in the morning, my father had the video camera with that glaring bright light shining on our every moment. My mother curled our hair with waxed paper strips - left in over night - and every time I watch those videos now I can remember tossing and turning in bed, squishing the paper against my pillow.

I remember we had a manger on the "hi-fi" near the front door and it was fun to rearrange the figures and play house with them.

My favorite memory isn't just one memory but a jumble of sound, sight, taste... Bing Crosby singing, the front window lined in squares with black tape and sprayed with fake snow to resemble the big multi-paned windows of yore, my mother's chocolate fudge and shortbread cookies.

We had a big, happy family back then. Such wonderful memories!

Anyone else want to share?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Christmas memories... annoying relatives... favorite song...

Unread post

This may sound strange, but my most telling Christmas memory was the year I discovered Santa Claus was not real. :P Our neighborhood was not rich, but we all go along. Our Christmases were not 'hard candy' ones, but neither were we indulged extravagantly, with one exception. Down the street lived a family where both the mother and father worked, a rarity for our social class. They had one child, a son, and he was spoiled rotten. :razz2: Example, most of us had Western Flyer bicycles :yes: he had a Schwinn :no: (To you younger folks, it would be like comparing a Toyota to a Mercedes). Of course at Christmas, he got everything we wanted, and more, and never failed to flaunt it. :angry: Did I mention he also had a rotten personality? So why did Santa, who supposedly only brought toys go good little boys and girls, bright so much mre to this rotten kid? So I was relieved when I learned the truth; indulgent parents I could understand, but not a wise and good Santa rewarding the worst kid on the block. :tease:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:This may sound strange, but my most telling Christmas memory was the year I discovered Santa Claus was not real. :P Our neighborhood was not rich, but we all go along. Our Christmases were not 'hard candy' ones, but neither were we indulged extravagantly, with one exception. Down the street lived a family where both the mother and father worked, a rarity for our social class. They had one child, a son, and he was spoiled rotten. :razz2: Example, most of us had Western Flyer bicycles :yes: he had a Schwinn :no: (To you younger folks, it would be like comparing a Toyota to a Mercedes). Of course at Christmas, he got everything we wanted, and more, and never failed to flaunt it. :angry: Did I mention he also had a rotten personality? So why did Santa, who supposedly only brought toys go good little boys and girls, bright so much mre to this rotten kid? So I was relieved when I learned the truth; indulgent parents I could understand, but not a wise and good Santa rewarding the worst kid on the block. :tease:
I like this memory of yours. There's always at least one of those kids in most neighbourhoods - they make a hearty contribution to our self awareness :wink:
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Well you mentioned Christmas songs - this new one is fast becoming my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMMH_xDKE2A
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Well you mentioned Christmas songs - this new one is fast becoming my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMMH_xDKE2A
Aww. Well that makes me want to run right out and buy a two foot ceramic Christmas tree. !

I love your jack handey quote.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

daminorg62: How about a big pink aluminum one??? cite: "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (the original).
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Everything Else”