• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Ebola, Do We Have a Reason to Be Afraid?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lovemybull
Atop the Piled Books

Ebola, Do We Have a Reason to Be Afraid?

Unread post

They've brought two people to Atlanta GA to be treated for exposure to the Ebola virus. The media is assuring America that we have nothing to fear. But the thing that comes to mind is a situation in the book "The Immortal Henrietta Lacks". I don't know enough about medicine to know the particulars of why and the difference in how different things travel.
In the book the HELA cells are being grown in dishes in a reasonable secure lab. Then researchers discovered the cells had traveled to other dishes. Basically airborne cancer cells? They certainly weren't expecting THAT. I'm just concerned they don't know as much about Ebola as they think they do. Thoughts?
L' Chaim!
MikeRConwell
Official Newbie!

Re: Ebola, Do We Have a Reason to Be Afraid?

Unread post

Ebola is a rare and deadly disease caused by infection with a strain of Ebola virus and we need to afraid about it because it has killed lots of people in the world and spraying day by day, we should be aware of it and make all the people aware to keep away from this disease.
EDU Libs | An educational Library for everyday use =====>> https://edulibs.org/
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

No reason to be afraid. You have access to good medical care, people who have been in contact with infected persons can be traced, you have good hygiene, dont share bowls of food or travel in overcrowded bush taxis, and are well informed. I live in Gambia, West Africa. West Africa is an area, not a country. There is no Ebola here at the moment but we are aware of the dangers
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

YES!!! Ebola is potentially lethal (mortality rates range from 50% - 89% depending on viral subtype) and since there is no approved vaccine or easily available treatment, it is classified as a biosafety level 4 agent, as well as a Category A bioterrorism agent by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). However, if the outbreaks are contained to small villages or hospitals and the virus runs out of potential hosts it dies out. But if it spreads and becomes a pandemic, then it could become the BLACK PLAGUE of our times. This is why both the CDC and the World Health Organization are trying to contain it to the few West African countries with the recent outbreak.
As a microbiologist and writer of biotech thrillers I was aware of the potential for using the Ebola as a germ warfare agent. This inspired me to write the action filled thriller, “The True Virus”, which was published in February of this year and before the recent Ebola outbreak. So I didn’t plan on trying to capitalize on such a tragic event to sell books, but find it providential that I realized that such a virus could be used by terrorist to destroy mankind.
http://www.amazon.com/True-Virus-Thrill ... true+virus
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Aware? Yes. Concerned? Yes. Afraid? No. Fear is probably a greater destroyer than the Ebola virus. I live in east Texas, about an hour's drive southest of Dallas, where the 'outbreak' occurred. Did I panic? No. Did my neighbors panic? No. Would we have willingly visited Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital (North Dallas)? No. I put in the parenthetical because our local hospital is a member of this group. So would I have gone to our local hospital? Yes. No, I don't have a death wish, just a good share of horse sense (Texan for 'common sense').
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

You can help fight Ebola:
http://time.com/3634732/ibm-ebola-cure/
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Return to “Science & Technology”