• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 759 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am

Help me find this book!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
avid_reader
Official Newbie!

Help me find this book!

Unread post

Hi all,

I’m looking for a book that I started reading when I was a preteen but never finished. I can’t remember the title of the book, or series (if it was a series), or the author, so I need help! Here are the few details I do remember: it seemed to be medievalesque as I think one of the main characters was a prince. Magic was a prevalent theme and I’m hoping my description of the way magic works in book’s world will be the biggest hint for anyone that may know. Magic was used in the form of cords, like rope cords. To manipulate magic and cause something to happen, one must twine the ropes and or cross them over each other. And that, my friends, is all I remember! Below is a small list of books and series that I know for sure are not what I am looking for. Please let me know if you can help! Thanks!

Books that I know aren’t what I am looking for:

A Spell For Chameleon (Xanth Novels)
Dealing With Dragons (Patricia Wrede)
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle)
The Wheel of Time series (Robert Jordan)
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials)
Circle of Magic (Tamora Pierce)
The Black Cauldron (Lloyd Alexander)
Diadem series (John Peel)
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Re: Help me find this book!

Unread post

Any idea how old the book is... how long ago you read it?

There is a tale called Prince Half-a-son about a prince who can make a rope do as he pleases. It's from Tales Of The Punjab: Folklore Of India by Flora Annie Steel. ??
avid_reader
Official Newbie!

Re: Help me find this book!

Unread post

No idea how old it is. It seems likely it is a modern book. I am fairly certain that it is a standalone book and isn't part of any story collections. Also, there is no real rope involved in the story. Magic is just described to be rope-like. Those are my words, not really the book's words. So the character would look in front of him and see magic appear in the air in the likeness of cords/rope. He would then pull them or cross them, etc to perform magic... Thanks for trying though!!

Return to “Everything Else”