• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Suggesting the fiction book TROPIC OF CANCER by Henry Miller

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Suggesting the fiction book TROPIC OF CANCER by Henry Miller

Unread post

I hit the button to suggest a fiction book, and I got directed here. Please forgive me if I'm posting in error; I am new here and am still learning the ropes.

I wanted to suggest a book for upcoming discussion, namely Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER. Being a classice and a book that was banned in the 1930's, I figured it to be a great starting point for discussion.

I hope all is well, and I look forward to jumping in to some great reading.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Hal Henry
Master Debater

Re: Suggesting the fiction book TROPIC OF CANCER by Henry Miller

Unread post

Movie Nerd: I can honestly say I've never read one of Henry Miller's books, but I did have a conversation with him around 1971-72 near the home he had on Partington Ridge in Big Sur Calif.; I was in a beat up 4wd and met him on the one-lane road, him in a magnificent silver Rolls Royce. He was a very wonderful old gent, and of course I was just a naive young chump. I never saw him again, but I was close to his next-door neighbor (so to speak) who let my then-girlfriend go to Miller's home to do rubbings of some old tombstones on the property. I fear (and have been too fearful to determine) that all of this was lost in the horrific Big Sur wildfires of some years ago.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Movie Nerd, you are in the correct forum to suggest, "Tropic of Cancer" for a fiction discussion. I think discussing this novel is a great idea, thank you for this suggestion. A fiction discussion can take place at any time, but I am thinking we should try to gather interest in this novel for a Booktalk group discussion. I have had this novel in my collection for many years and have yet to read it, so I am right there with you. Its late in the night now, but tomorrow we can try to get this started. Thanks again!
:)
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I read this a very long time ago and hated it. I recall two incidents. One was Miller's room mate banging a prostitute while Miller smacks his room mate on the butt. Thanks for that image, not! The other was Miller looking at a woman's shaved crotch and thinking "WTF? Is that what all the fuss is about? Are you kidding me?" :lol: So I'd be interested in re-reading this to compare my reaction now; I think I'm much less prudish than I was the previous time. :blush:
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Like Landroid, I tried to read Tropic of Cancer years ago; didn't get very far into it. Not sure why anymore. :? I might be interested, if I can find a copy - one that I can read. Just had cataract surgery on my right eye, will have the left one done after the first of the year. Right now, a paperback or any edition with small print would be out. :( Any suggestions? Is it available in e-book or large print???
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Cattleman, I am sorry to hear about surgery, I hope your recovery goes smoothly. Yes, "Tropic of Cancer" is available as an e-book. Do you ever use google play? I find the site helpful in finding e-books. I hope you will consider joining the discussion. I have not read it, but your comments along with those made by LanDroid have made me curious.

Good luck to you with your up coming surgery.

I made this thread sticky so I hope we can bring more members in.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I have never read it, either. Would like to join the discussion group. 8)
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Found a copy on the shelf at my local library. Will give it a quick scan and post my thoughts in a few days.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Unfortunately Movie Nerd attempted to read it and found he could not finish so I doubt if he will participate. Actually his feelings toward this novel seems to be typical from what I have read in this thread. My fear is we do not have enough interest to start a group discussion and I am also afraid readers will give up the novel before finishing it and the forum will sit empty.

Of course a casual discussion can be created in the fiction forum for, "Tropic of Cancer" at any time. At this point, however I don't think this is going to work as an official BT group discussion.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

@ Suzanne

I'm afraid we missed an opportunity for an interesting discussion from our October fiction poll.
One of the choices was a Dan Simmons book, The Terror, I ended up reading the Terror, and found it to be hopelessly compelling, I say hopelessly because the historical Franklin Expedition was a tragic collapse of a genuine scientific journey, Simmons fictional account at least gives a glimmer of hope for survival, If rooting for that sort of thing matters?. In the story we find that a new technology such as canned foods have as yet unknown dangers such as the slow death of salmonella or its more expedient cousin botulism, both combined with scurvy, helped define the chances people took in voyages of discovery in the 19th century. Add to these and other factors a monstrous omnipresent polar bear and you have hopeless terror. anyway a lost opportunity can be recaptured.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”